PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Or Blends You Love Before Even Smoking Them
I am totally sure that it has happened to you as well. You see a blend on the website/at the tobacco shop and love strikes you at the first sight. It might be the name or the tin art or some review of it that attracts you and you say to yourself "I will like that blend". You find some time for yourself and spend an extra effort for the ritual of opening the tin, smelling the tobacco, paying too much attention to the details, etc. Then you pack a bowl and light it. After the very first puff you mumble "That's it". That tobacco tastes exactly what you were expecting it to taste like. Mine was Lane Andullo I managed to smoke yesterday for the first time. It is like nothing else and I am totally in love with it. Did you have any similar experience?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
jolly-roger-600x399.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Sorry guys but 10 years ago it was and still is Penzance for me. Just magic. I had never smelled anything out of a tin like that. Smoke and old leather...just beautiful. And the taste...sublime.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Easy....
John Patton's "STORM FRONT"
Read through all the reviews, and accolades....and it was love at first sniff and bowlful. Wish I had a long history with this wonderful, mixture....but sadly, I just recently tried it. A perfect (for me) smoke. Sweetly flavorful, pleasantly aromatic, and without all the fake flavors and syrups. It also has a little cigar-leaf mixed into it, but you'd never know it. Not even any "cigarette-ashy" taste when smoking through the second half of the bowl to the bottom. No bite, just pleasure.
Absolutely recommend this mixture -without any reservations or privisos- for anyone who wants a mild-smoking blend with some rich tobacco flavors. I couldn't find ant demerits, but one.....I wish I knew about this mixture, years ago.
Frank

NYC
Next, on my, 'must try" list: John Patton's "Dark and Stormy" = "Storm Front" with a little Latakia mixed into it. I'll try it, but I'm no Lat fan.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
PS Luxury Twist Flake. Not a complex blend, but man, it hit all the right notes and continues to serve me well.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Marlin Flake, Solani 633 and Old Dark Fired. After reading and watching many reviews and opening this tins I knew I would like them. When I smoked them I loved them and have loved them ever since.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Quite a few. The one that comes to mind first is Nat Sherman 536, a mild refined English blend with burley. I guess what made it especially memorable was that I bought it and smoked my first bowl at the Nat Sherman shop in Manhattan sitting outside their humidor in a rocker after being sold the blend in bulk by their senior sales associate. It was a memorable experience all around.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Klondike Gold. Luckily I have a shit ton in the cellar since it's discontinued. As a back up, I have a shit ton of Dunhill Flake cellared too.

Erinmore. I knew from hearing people complain and bicker about this one that I knew that I would love it. Even the most disgusting aspects of how people described it appealed to me. Also, hearing that CS Lewis loved this one also influenced me. The tin art is mediocre, but it is attractive in a vintage kind of way.
Then when I finally had the opportunity to pop a tin, it was like meeting a long lost friend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My most recent love affairs are Salty Dogs and Curly Block. I read the reviews, got some input from jiminks and didn't hesitate in buying them. Both exceeded my expectations.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I thought the thread title was Love at First Sight Blonds and was prepared to write a very long post. I would add, that upon opening the tin, many of them did not deliver commensurate to the description. Some smoked hot. Some had a bite. A few smoked wet. Some even had a ketchup vinegar aroma. Many had a casing and were dopey.

Status
Not open for further replies.