PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I just knew I was going to love War Horse Bar, simply because of the great thread and all the animosity generated on it. When I tried it, I loved it. It was everything it wasn't supposed to be, a creditable reincarnation and a great smoke!
It's now my "reward" smoke for when I grab a great photo, remember to put the lid down or, a Ford or Chevy drives past the gate.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Every time I go on the Motzek site I put a few pounds in my cart, I haven't pulled the trigger yet but man those blends look good to me. My first McClelland was a tin of St. James Woods from 1995 from Pipestud. Loved everything about it, now I'm a McClelland junkie.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I would add, that upon opening the tin, many of them did not deliver commensurate to the description. Some smoked hot. Some had a bite. A few smoked wet. Some even had a ketchup vinegar aroma. Many had a casing and were dopey.
I think you are talking about Erinmore Mixture :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I first started, I looked forward to every new blend, and kind of got lost in that quest for new flavors before I really knew my palate, which, I think still develops with each bowl.

Magical moments were frequent then, and still are, just not met with the same awe and reverence.

My first bowl of Escudo met my expectations.

My first Latakia blend arrived in a bag, and its 'aroma' permeating my vicinity made me think that I was crossing a bridge in the tobacco world, and made me laugh out loud at the sheer dominance of its bouquet. (Newminster's Ultimate English)

The really pleasant surprises came in the form of all and any D&R blends. I was worried they were substandard, ryo tobaccos being sold to cig smokers, and boy, was I wrong!

(mind you, a few of their blends would work, if you are burning paper with your tobacco)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tabac-Manil Semois thick cut burley variant from Belgium. A Forums member sent me a sample, and when I said I liked it, someone who had tried it and didn't like it, sent me their entire foil package, plus an unopened tin of Frog Morton Cellar, and a noble Ferndown pipe! The Ferndown happens to be a perfect Semois pipe.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
MSO,
I concur about the Semois. The earthy/nuttiness had me before I put it to match.
So it is these:> Semois - ODF - JKP - ABF - Wessex's BCDF
It would be interesting to hear about the blends of which you didn't like the reports or smell, but soon grew to enjoy. For me it would be 3P's. Smelled like manure ... yet a delicious smoke.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Another vote for Semois. Anyone that enjoys Burley should try some. Deep, earthy, nutty, I even get a hint of Candela from it. Priced out of range for me to enjoy more than once a year but worth it, definitely unique. I fear trying Condor for similar reasons.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There are several blends that I have not tried yet, that I am sure I am going to like. ODF, Hal o' the Wynd, University Flake, Capstan Blue, etc etc.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
For me it was Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian it will be a sad day when this runs out.

And unfortunately I am sure that day will be very soon. :crying:

whitebar

Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I'll add the following blends to this thread. HH ODF, GH&Co. Dark Birdseye, and Rattray's Stirling Flake all did it for me from the very first light.

Status
Not open for further replies.