PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here are a few pics of a Lovat I just completed. The ring is Honey Ox-horn and as you can see, there is a small scratch. I'm not quite sure how that happened. I'm thinking while it was chucked and I was shaping it something made it or it's a flaw in the horn material, I don't know. The last pic is what I use to try and keep my lines straight. It's an old protractor slide from an old shop piece.

1r8E4d1.jpg

uDhKEt0.jpg

n6tNwAD.jpg

pxmy6gf.jpg

GpJzDGF.jpg

4BHXdg2.jpg

VJ96WcS.jpg

MeSmRXR.jpg

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Very nice. I always am interested in how and why things are made a certain way. Is the bottom of the bowl flat?

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks

Dave, the product I use at times is called Woodturner's Finish made by a company called General Finishes. It is water based, totally non-toxic and turners use it to finish soup, salad and dinner bowl/plates. I know a lot of people prefer straight traditional wax pipes and I do pipes the traditional way as well. This gets put on after I am happy with the staining/sanding and once it is cured, I take the pipe as usual through the Tripoli's and then apply the Carnauba wax.

And yes the brass is a piece of 3/32" brass rod. I just like to put it in there for looks.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you've made a nice step 'forward' with the straight edge to help. Your finishing is superb and has been all along.

I do think the shaping of the bowl is still evolving. Both in completion of the bowl shape in relation to the shank, and in placement of the bowls' front bottom edge. If you could take some of the material from the top of the shank at the bowl connection and put if on the lower front edge of the bowl, more balance would appear.

However, I've never tried to make a pipe, and have barely been able to clean up Estates, so, this contribution might need a little salt.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks guys

Mike, I think your observations are pretty much spot on. The feedback from some of the folks on the PMF say pretty much the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.