PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It'll take some time before they win back my business. Horrible QC has always been my main bitch (continued dipstaining even when they claimed they stopped doing it, poor drilling, and yes it's been seen even in their high end pipes. I'm glad to see Palmer leaving. I'm looking forward to the change and hoping for some much needed improvements.
And I guess it's too much to ask to end the ugly, awkward and dreaded looking p-lip and make more stems in fishtail vulcanite. But one can dream.
from the article; grammar nazi alert, "phrasing" the bowls? I think it's fraised/fraising.
Fraising Machine: "A pipe-making machine that shapes the bowl, shank, and heel of the pipe by turning the block of wood while a chisel cuts the wood automatically"

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
It'll take some time before they win back my business. Horrible QC has always been my main bitch (continued dipstaining even when they claimed they stopped doing it, poor drilling, and yes it's been seen even in their high end pipes. I'm glad to see Palmer leaving. I'm looking forward to the change and hoping for some much needed improvements.
And I guess it's too much to ask to end the ugly, awkward and dreaded looking p-lip and make more stems in fishtail vulcanite. But one can dream.
from the article; grammar nazi alert, "phrasing" the bowls? I think it's fraised/fraising.
Fraising Machine: "A pipe-making machine that shapes the bowl, shank, and heel of the pipe by turning the block of wood while a chisel cuts the wood automatically"
Good catch on the fraising. Now when it comes to quality - Mark Irwan can talk at length about the perception of quality you got in say 1970 or earlier and how it was just the same as it is now, it hasn't changed at all and they grade all bowls the same as they always have. American sensibility has grown more towards that of Germans when it comes to looking at a pipe and are more scrutinizing than we used to be.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
QC has to improve, hopefully it is being recognized internally. The way I read this article is that everything is A-OK :(
STG did not add much either but seemed more realistic to the current events. We will continue what has been selling well, otherwise...we have no idea yet.
For me I hope for a substantial improvement overall.
Aim high!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Plenty of typos and redaction mistakes there. Please, do edit the articles. I understand that maybe the writer is in a rush/deadline to publish them, but such sloppiness make them appear very unprofessional. Not trying to be a grammar black shirt here, but I do care about the site and want it to be and look top notch.
Regarding the subject, interesting read. I might buy a Peterson system pipe after all. I've always wanted a P-lip.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds as if there are good relationships for the future on both the pipe and tobacco sides. Both sides are being bought by outfits that have a primary interest in the products involved.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
It's only a 120 year fad.. it will pass

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
70, 000 pipes produced per year-OK, I'd expect a few clunkers QC-wise. But, then again, I wouldn't use that excuse to rest on my laurels but rather would strive to reduce the "flaw-rate" even further.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
My main beef is the dipstaining.
And if they make that many pipes a year? They need the right amount of QC people hired on. One guy just ain't getting them all checked. Maybe hire two ?
Yeah wow, 120 years of the p-lip. Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics to shoot smoke upwards away from the tongue. And a design to look fugly. Tradition is a strange thing sometimes. Even the name is odd, Pee-lip.
OK, pot stirred. Go !

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Yeah wow, 120 years of the p-lip. Yeah, prehistoric Professor Pepperwinkle basement physics to shoot smoke upwards away from the tongue. And a design to look fugly. Tradition is a strange thing sometimes. Even the name is odd, Pee-lip.
Here's an easy solution; don't buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.