Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We buried our canine companion of 14 years this evening. Ellie joined her departed friend Maggie under our cherry tree. Liz took this picture last summer, during better days. Recently, Steve Laug posted the story about his lost friend and I had a feeling I'd be referencing it soon.
We sent Ellie off with the words of Outlaw Josey Wales, "I rode with her, I got no complaints".
Where To Bury A Dog – by Ben Hur Lampman
There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.
For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost — if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.
If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call — come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.
People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.
The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.
11231205_1174151385934188_7866531578333005561_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a sweetheart. I'm no scholar of the afterlife, but it's always felt to me as if the four-legged friends would be waiting there in a circumstance of long-term happiness and contentment, as they often are in this life. They do their best to supervise us here and bring us to our best selves. Sentimental, or maybe not. (Four-legged or two legged with wings.)

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Al I am so sorry for the loss of a family member. Wish you an your Mrs the best in this time of hardship. Mr/Mrs scrooge

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Very sorry for your loss. I had a black lab that taught me everything I know. She was a great, great dog, and left a major hole in my life when she passed.
Dogs are the best of friends.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Sorry to learn of this, Al. There are dog owners & dog lovers & this is never easy for a dog lover. I have two long time companions of mine buried side-by-side as well. I'm sure Ellie & Maggie enjoyed good lives under your care.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sympathies and empathy, too; sorry for your losses.
We lost our Springer Spaniel a month ago, and about ten days ago our 4 year lab developed rear leg or hip problem. Still have to go get X-rays as soon as we can.
Highland Terrier going strong, though he's become damn whiny recently.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
My thoughts are with you Al. Being the owner of 3 furkids now and a few before these, I dread those days where you have to say goodby.

Chin up and remember all the good tomes.
Mark

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I lose a good fur friend, I always feel like that's it and never again. But the critters put me down on their list, and when they're ready, up pops another little eager face, who has obviously read my letters of reference from previous creatures, and immediately, I am in custody. Hopeless to resist. I can run, but I can't hide.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Sorry for your loss. We lost our almost 18 year old family dog earlier this year. Sad day for sure. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.