PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It took me 10 months to lose the first 3 in 1 pipe tool I bought. Just happened to get a new one a couple weeks ago. Did Karma lose it for me?

CherokeeBilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2014
Granbury, TX
That's pretty good keeping it for 10 months, now its all down hill, buy a stock of them and keep them in a drawer. You'll swear they sprout legs and walk off LOL

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Keep one of these on your key ring:
http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/lightweight-4-in-1-key-Ring-pipe-tool-pipe-smokers-accessories-2083.html#SID=132

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I'll bet your lost pipe tool right now is having a beer with my five lost pipe tools, and a few hundred others.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I managed to keep for years the very first pipe-tool (a Czech) that I ever purchased, loosing it once at a hotel in Pennsylvania. Fortunately by retracing my steps I found it on the sidewalk in the snow where I had dropped it while carrying my suitcase to my room.
That simple tool saw me through countless bowls and was a tried and true friend, but then literally vanished one Friday evening in the car on a commute home from work. I had stopped to load and fire my pipe, and afterward set the tool on the console between the seats. The on-ramp had a rather sharp curve, and as I entered it at speed I heard the tool slide off of the console and, out of the corner of my eye, saw it head for the floor. When the time came to tamp again I pulled off of the highway, fully expecting to find the tool on the mat in front of the passenger's seat. I did not. I spent at least 20-minutes looking for it, but it was nowhere to be found.
The next day I spent the better part of two hours searching the car: between the seats, under the seats, in the seats, in the seat-tracks, under the floor-mats, under the carpet, in the door-pockets, in the console, under the console...everywhere, but it was simply and forever gone.
If ever you are watching late-night television and see an episode of The Twilight Zone wherein the protagonist is smoking a pipe and tending it with a Czech tool would you please notify me? At least then I'll finally know where it went.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@huntertrw
It could have fallen into the defog vents between the dash and the windshield. Then again, if the passenger window was down, it could of flown out into the wild blue yonder!

ming

Lurker
Aug 9, 2014
I've been fortunate as I've never lost a tamper. I have misplaced pieces in the shop and around the house that I'm working on, but they always turn up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I absolutely worship pipe nails for their exquisite simplicity and functionality. That sturdy tamper

and the nicely rounded scoop can't be beat. If you also want a Czech tool or three, and a lovely

folding-knife style stainless steel tool, that's fine, but pipe tools will do 99% of the job 99% of the

time. They are inexpensive, beautiful, and inspiring for their simplicity. I'd keep three or four

around (or more) at all times, both the round tamper version and the squared version. Can't be

beat.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Sheesh I go to the hardware store and pick up a handful of big nails with heads. Lasts me a year.
No wonder I have so many flat tires... thanks @shutterbug

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
can never find what I am looking for when purposely looking for that item. It always turns up the minute I give up and consider lost to the fortunes of the universe.
j/B

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It took quite a bit of time to get over losing my first tamper:
fingerg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.