PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
A few bits of info here:
I have about 200 USD (litle more if need be, hell up to double if I really like the suggestions ha ha) to spend on tinned tobacco, would obviously like to get around 20 tins (prolly a few short, but meh)
I would also like a suggestion for twist or rope or whatever you wanna call it, haven't tried anything in those lines since I was about 10 and I'd like to again.

I'm building up my cellar (only have about 14 total atm) and will also be ordering 26oz Irish creme, 16oz mild burley, and 18oz old companion in bulk -- I say this for two reasons -- A: I'll have enough stuff I won't touch the tins until they start aging (though I'll age a lot of the bulk stuff too) and B: it gives you a small idea what my tastes are hovering around right now.
A few points on flavour preferences - I love Irish and Scottish blends, I prefer flake to ribbon but want a good stock of both, I LOVE anything rose flavoured, if there happens to be a rose tobacco out there I missed while looking for one, but other than that don't want aero's -- I have a 2/3 learn towards Virginias, and hate "spicy" (or peppery, or anything that tastes at all like most South American, or for that matter most American, cigar)
I ask you guys for suggestions on a fairly blank slate because. . . well I don't have any tinned tobaccos so I dunno what any of them taste like so I can't start the "frogger effect" myself, hopping from related blends to another to find what I do and do not like.
Oh yeah, and please only stuff I can get from pipesandcigars or smokingpipes, since I've already decided on orders with them big enough to negate shipping heh heh.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
McClelland- Yenidje Supreme "queen of the orientals"

McClelland- Royal Cajun "special"
....crack them open,smoke'em ...then decide if you want to invest.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Sound advice, but this go around (as I learned when looking for my favoured brand of cheap cigarette tobacco) is my aging test-drive. I did the same thing looking for cigarette tobaccos I liked as well few years back -- bought a small or medium amount (as was available) of some 30 blends, let them agae while I smoked what I already knew was okay for 6 months, and then took each blend out for a test (kept about 20g of each in seperate containers.) Whatever I liked I ordered again, in larger amounts. Though since the price of tobacco has risen so much I'm finally down to just one blend (the cheapest of what I liked) and keep 8lbs of it stocked.
I plan on doing basically the same thing here, 1 tin of everything suggested that strikes my fancy -- let it age while I stick with my bulks, pop em open in about six months, put a few bowls aside for testing and put the rest in a mason jar. Test out 2 or three blends a week and keep a journal of my notices. The best of the best go back in the cellar to sit for a few years to make up for the fact I opened them early, while I order a good deal more of them -- the rest I'll finish off and maybe order more of, and what I don't fancy I'll either finish off, or offer it out to you blokes if it's good but not my cup of tea.
It costs more to do it this way, but it saves time in the end because I know I prefer aged to not, so what it smokes like out of the tin isn't quite good enough to know if I want it, I need to know it ages well. I have my bulks for when I want something "young" heh heh.
As for you tin suggestions -- They sound divine -- and I found a couple more in the McClelland group that sound pretty nice as well, the Three Oaks and Orent 996 in particular.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
If you are into stout tobaccos try G&H Black Irish X , Or if you want even stouter, the Brown Irish X. Peterson Perfect Plug, Irish Flake and University Flake are all good in my opinion.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Black Irish X and Irish Flake definitely going in the list. The peterson plug is on standby as well as the university flake depending on what else comes up from you blokes' suggestions and what I find in the same line as them :D

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Wow coming up with 20 from those suggestions was fast o.o I wish life were longer at times like this, when it occurs to me I won't live long enough to try everything out there heh heh.
Thinking of:
Rattrays's Old Gowrey, Marlin Flake and No.7 Reserve
GLP Piccadilly, Chelsea Morning, Meridian, Quiet Nights
MacBaren 7 Seas Royal and Virginia Flake
Peterson Perfect Plug and Irish Flake
G&H Black Irish X (prolly just 2oz)
McClelland Royal Cajun "special", Scottish Woods, Nocturne, Three Oaks, Orient 996, No. 22 Virginia, Blackwoods Flake and Dark Star
~~ pretty well-rounded, mostly virginias, about a third or half flakes (didn't really count) or coins. . .. Pretty exactly what I was talking about.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
If your looking at McClelland, don't forget about the new Legends and Wilderness blends. Seriously tasty.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
While I like to push the WO Larsen blends, cant go wrong with the Signature or the 2011. I think I'm a WO poster child.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Your taste in Virginia's would suggest an English Blend. A few have been mentioned already, but for my 2 penneth, you won't go far wrong with any of the Dunhill Blends i.e. Early Morning, Nightcap and My Mixture 965 to name but a few. Especially as they have just returned to the US after a bit of an absence.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Just got back from fishing and trying out Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe (after a very long time of not smoking it).
Yoru... you said that "I LOVE anything rose flavoured..." well does that include Rose wood?
As a kid I remember those balmy September weekends and my Dad burning rose cuttings in the garden incinerator. Well, after a bowl of Dunhill's EMP I can tell you that the taste and smell has that slight hint of rose wood smoke.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Rattray blends are personal favorites of mine. Marlin Flake is the big

brother of Old Gowrie. Black Mallory is the big brother of Red Rapparee.

My preferences have long been: Hal O' the Wynd, Red Rapparee, Marlin Flake

and aged Black Mallory. For rope tobacco G&H Happy Brown Bogie is the prime

tasting high grade wrapper leaf blend I prefer. Three Oaks Syrian and Orient 996

are excellent choices in the McClelland line. Out of the current Dunhill issue

the Deluxe Navy Rolls and the Flake are worth the coin. For an outstanding heavy

English it's 1776 Tavern from Jack. In light of the upcoming changes the FDA

is likely to establish, it's a very real possibility that the imported blends

may not be available for long in the US. With this in mind, cellar Robert

McConnell's Scottish Flake and Oriental Mixture.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Don't forget to check out 4noggins.com as well. They offer free shipping on orders over $99.00 USD.
I am hesitant to offer any suggestions because I have no clue what your flavor profile is, but since you mention that you would like some Scottish blends and prefer flakes, check out the Robert McConnell/McConnell's line of tobaccos. They have blends such as:

Scottish Flake

Scottish Cake

Latakia Flake
They also make a blend called Red Roses, here is the tin description:

This tobacco is a perfect composition of jet black 'Black Cavendish' and some sun yellow Virginia, embedded in rose buds. Finest aromatic rose buds, topped with a touch of caramel caress the palate of the pipe smoker.
It is hard to find, but it is out there. I picked up a tin at the 2009 Richmond Pipe Show. You can see a photo of it in this thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tad-purchases#post-1364

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Lots of yum! My orders are in, thanks a lot guys! In 6 months I promise to have a few reviews heh heh

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
fred said: In light of the upcoming changes the FDA is likely to establish, it's a very real possibility that the imported blends may not be available for long in the US.
I hadn't heard of this. What are the particulars? Thanks!
-Jason

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I hadn't heard of this. What are the particulars? Thanks!

-Jason
The local paper carried the story last week. The FDA is requiring tobacco blenders

to make their blend components known. Those who don't comply will have to withdraw

their products from the shelves. I believe this is coming up in March. They are

targeting flavorings and chemicals that 'enhance addiction'. The article seemed to

put the emphasis on cigarette manufacture. There is also discussion on the warning

labels - how big, graphic pictures, etc.. The article didn't mention Pipe tobacco

but that is no reason to think that all tobacco products aren't being made to comply.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the info, fred. Crap. I thought I was all PAD-ed out for a month or two. Guess I have to start buying up all the W.O. Larsen, Villiger, Dunhill, ... tins I can get. :crying: I hope this doesn't apply to pipe tobacco, or that the manufacturers follow the rules so I don't have to resort to scrounging around to get foreign blends.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.