PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Both tobaccos mentioned in the title really speak to me. Dark Star is perfect for slowly nursing and getting lost in while Black Shag is (to me) a more convenient version of DS, better suited for quicker load and enjoy time. While not quite the same they are definitely cousins and I was hoping to find others that fit into this category. Dark, stoved, rich.... you get the idea. I would wager McC has at least another one or two in the same vein but rec's don't need to stay confined to that blender.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look at Mac Barens HH series, to see if any of that sounds appealing.

Both of these are very unique plays on Virginias by the Virginia experts. This company is the zenith of the genre, IMO. And, since you understand that Black Shag and Dark Star are not alike, you may want to just root around in the McClelland selections for a while. I would suggest a Blackney processed Virginia or VaPer for something besides flue cured. But, there is a whole series of matured Virginias worthy of exploring also.
Jump on in that Virginia pile and root around. Ha ha. Good luck!! and enjoy!!

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
@mso, I have a tin of Vintage Syrian that I have yet to open but haven't tried any of McB's HH series. I'll look into the series and give those a whirl.
@Cosmic, McC does know Virginia well. I can't say I can think of anything "bad" I've tried from them. The Matured VA line seems like a good route to pursue. The Blakeney's have been known to sit in my cart on several occasions but get bumped out every time for something else. Time to give them a chance.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I'm a big fan of Black Shag, but have so far preferred Peretti's Scottish Flake (also McClelland-produced, I believe) to Dark Star. Try McC's Classic Samsun for a spin on the stoved VA's of Black Shag, except with orientals instead of the dash of latakia you'll find in the Shag.
Haven't tried it yet, but Butera's Dark Stoved is another one that gets mentioned as comparable to Dark Star.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Some more McC blends to try are bulk 2035, 2015, 2020, and some tinned options would be Blackwood's flake and saint James woods.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I like H&H El Niño, while not near the same in Virginias as Dark star it has that earthy sweet dark broody thing going with the Dark fired and a touch of Latakia, the Virginias sing nicely in it too!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You might want to try McClelland's Red & Black Virginia's. It's like the name suggests but you can mix it to your preference. The black VA's in it are identical to Black Star but you can mix it with a little red VA for a change in flavor. I think it's one of the better contemporary blends on the market. Stellar! Red and Black

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/732/mcclelland-no-2035-dark-navy-flake This.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Haven't tried it yet, but Butera's Dark Stoved is another one that gets mentioned as comparable to Dark Star.
I would recommend Dark Stoved. It is a slightly more manageable easier to smoke version of Dark Star.... which makes sense as both are made by mcclelland.

Status
Not open for further replies.