PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilbertkeith

Lurker
Apr 11, 2019
Hi there,
Thinking of buying some pipe tobacco for the first time since moving to Canada from England in 2016. Buying at a Canadian B&M is out of the question as I refuse to pay CAD$70 for something I used to pay GBP8 for 10 years ago.
Gonna make a 4noggins order and looking for recommendations based on my old favourites:

1)Dunhill MyMix 965

2)Dunhill Nightcap

3)SG Squadron Leader
Any other good blends that people enjoy from 4noggins also appreciated!
Thank you :)
GKC

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Hi

for Nightcap, try Ashton Artisan's Blend. Peter Stokkebye Proper English No. 52 also is quite close in my opinion. Just a tad drier smoke than the other two.

For similar nicotin hit to Nightcap I also tend to go with Cornell & Diehl Bow Legged Bear
Can't really offer any sub for the other two you mentioned.

Cheers

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'd say don't shy away from 4Noggins bulks. Here's an idea,
https://www.4noggins.com/4-noggins-ENGLISH-SAMPLER.aspx
:)

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
If you like the 965 prior to the STG version the Sutliff 965 Match (now Match 20) will be the closest. Greg Pease created Westminster as a homage to London Mixture which, is my favorite Dunhill (Murray's or STG). My tastes don't find it close to 965 because it lacks the cavendish component and is definitely more Oriental forward. I enjoy Westminster but, also, don't find that it exactly hits London Mixture either.
Night Cap is difficult to match. The Sutliff match is good but, not quite there. I usually head to SPC Plum Pudding Reserve when I have the Night Cap urge.
I have to +1 derhammer on PS#52 being a great smoke (actually smoking it now). I am not so sure about it being Dunhill-like.
I just wish you luck on SL. It is a quintessentially unique English.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
4Noggins is the blender for John Patton. There are some excellent burley blends. Among my favorites are Storm Front, Moe’s Confetti and Crossroads. Bald Headed Teacher is also excellent and can be found under the 4noggins bulk blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.