PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I recall seeing the names of a few repair shops referenced in pipe repair threads here but I can't seem to locate them now. Can someone provide some references, please?
My estate pipe has a charred/burnt chamber and I'd like to repair it with pipe mud/cement and finish it off with a carbon coating. I'd like to attempt this myself, however, I'm also considering sending it to an expert. I'd like to contact a repairman and discuss this.
thanks.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
This is how the pipe looked when I got it. I have since applied a coating to the interior of powdered sugar mixed with water then smoked it numerous time to try to build up the cake. I'm still not satisfied with the interior geometry of the shank-side chamber wall because it had lost material due to reaming and was charred. I'd like to determine if it is possible to "rebuild" the interior with pipe mud/cement to re-establish a proper geometry.
(first time posting pics...let's see what happens)
damage_01-5-600x450.jpg

damage_01-4-600x450.jpg

damage_01-3-600x450.jpg

damage_01-2-600x450.jpg

damage_01-1-600x450.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pipe mud is a less robust approach than either silicate or pipe cement. Any way that you decide to go about it, it's important to smoke very slowly, such that the bowl isn't getting too warm during the smoke while you build up that cake. You don't want to overheat an already structurally compromised surface while you build up a heat insulator.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
A paste of Carbon dust (activated carbon) and Sour Cream (makes the carbon dust adhere and burns off/carbonizes when smoked).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another method to get carbon coating the walls is to wet the chamber, fill it with granulated sugar. Pour out. Let it dry. Load very carefully so as to not disturb the coating. Smoke gently and fully. This will build a strong bit of cake. Repeat as necessary.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Another method to get carbon coating the walls is to wet the chamber, fill it with granulated sugar. Pour out. Let it dry. Load very carefully so as to not disturb the coating. Smoke gently and fully. This will build a strong bit of cake. Repeat as necessary."
Cool.

Never heard that one.

Learn something every day.

I remember honey, grape jelly yada yada.

Status
Not open for further replies.