Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've always wanted, but avoided getting, a nice classic churchwarden. This is because the churchwarden always seemed to me an outdoor pipe, and for medical reasons am unable to walk much distance. Also, our backyard was bare of any furniture. However, we're getting a picnic table soon, and I'll be able to smoke a churchwarden outside, meditating while seated at a wooden table during the summer evenings. So churchwarden smokers, chime in. I was looking at a rusticated Savinelli church for a good price, and I've wanted to try Savinelli for a while. (I wasn't too fond of the Peterson churches.) Budget is about $100, preferably less, something classic or medieval style (think of a wizard) with a substantial bowl, rusticated or sandblasted, any color but the Savinelli I looked at was black. What are your thoughts?

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
How about a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson that comes with 2 stems? Plenty barely used estates usually on the market. I recently got a Savinelli CW and it smokes really well, but always had my eye on the Stanwell Hans.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Hey Sparrowhawk I was thinking the same thing. I like a rustic style not smooth.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Neerup

002-203-1531.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Great idea! My first churchwarden was a smooth estate savinelli from SP for $60.00 and I love it. I also recently bought an estate Dunhill, cost more, but it is a bigger pipe. Let me just say, they are also great indoors. Specifically when reading and watching t.v. or movies.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
My churchwarden is a Pete and I love it. Just curious, what didn't you like about the Pete line?

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
http://www.boswellpipes.com/

Boswell makes great churchwardens, reasonably priced and they often include a 2nd stem.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Rolldog, I'm a big fan of Peterson; half my pipes are Petes. But in this case the bowls weren't quite what I was looking for and in addition the Savenelli church is a cheaper pipe, given that I'm new to smoking churchwardens. The one I'm interested has a billiard rusticated bowl in black, all desirable. But the Petes are quite nice as well.
After: I looked at the churches at The Pipe Place and they seem to have a lot of churchwardens, but these seem generic without manufacturer names, and I wonder if I can trust a generic no-brand pipe. Thoughts?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I decided on the Savenelli churchwarden and made the order, so this thread can be considered closed. Thanks for your comments!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Pipes with dual stems are a great advantage.

I usually smoke my Vauen with the shorter stem. It's a bit heavy.

cfaaa4b2-334a-43a1-a337-4947ab037a48_zps3dc5f6cc.jpg

I also like my Savinelli Qandale. It's a compromise length, only 8 1/2 inches total.

It can still fit into a pocket.

Savinelli.jpg

Another less expensive option is a Forever Stem if you like cobs.

A Forever Stem can turn an ordinary cob into a very nice pipe.

cobwarden_zps80e9c2b6.jpg

Be sure to show us what you end up getting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you are only buying one churchwarden, I recommend the Savenelli 601. This has the attribute of having a

fully arched/curved stem and a nicely rusticated briar and a compact but medium sized bowl. This is somewhat

the paradigm shape for a churchwarden. And it is filterless. My wife gifted me with this for Christmas, and

I have grown to treasure it. What's more, it is often priced in a reasonable way. I think may wife may have

gotten it for about $65, two years ago, but it is available still at around $70. You'll get both quality and

style, and it's a Sav. Don't forget to get the long pipe cleaners with it. My wife also got me a travel case for

it. Nice.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
The Sav was a great choice - it's on my list. I do have an estate Yello Bole that I haven't cleaned up yet (it's next on my honey-do list).
I do agree with a Forever stem for an MM cob. I have a mini churchwarden stem (7.5") and it's a great "on the deck" pipe!
Enjoy it, Fred in good health!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
This is the new Sav churchwarden I ordered; should be here by week's end. It's simple, it's classic, has a nice bowl, and is rusticated and black. A nice starter for both Sav and churchwardens, I thought, and for a great price. mso, what do you think? And thanks everyone for your input!

002-033-167491.jpg

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Looks like a great pipe! I'd be happy smoking it. I hope you enjoy it, and enjoy your back yard. I wait all winter long in anticipation of sitting around on my patio enjoying a pipe, watching the garden grow.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoke gets in my eyes when I read (yes, from the pipe I'm smoking). I reason that a churchwarden might be helpful in that the bowl can be positioned away from the eyes. I've yet to test this hypothesis. I keep buying other pipes and don't think about getting it made into a proper smoking instrument, without the stubborn stinger.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I pretty much got the one you just showed. It takes a little breaking in. I liked it because it had an acrylic stem. No way I wanted a large stem to be made of vulcanite.

Status
Not open for further replies.