Looking for CAO Items: Pipe Glove, Cleaning Fluid, Etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I love CAO pipes, but I'd love to put on my meerschaum shelves some of the extras they sold. Does anyone have available any of the following?
-- Magic Care cloth, a chamois-like square they claimed was "specially impregnated to clean and polish meerschaum pipes." It had the CAO logo and "MEERSCHAUMS" printed on it.
-- MCF, meerschaum cleaning fluid, a small plastic bottle. I had one once, ages ago, but have no idea how I lost it. An empty bottle is fine, it's just for display.
-- Meerschaum Antiquing Compound, a tube of wax which they said was designed to make pipes color twice as fast and to a deeper color. Again, has the CAO logo on it.
-- Pipe glove, a white cloth glove for those smokers afraid to handle a warm pipe lest they leave fingerprints or affect coloring. Has the CAO logo.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I wish I could help you out but the only CAO thing I have is the gold tone CAO spring loaded "finger" tamper that came, new in box from the Tom Dunn collection that Hermit liquidated. The tamper has knuckles and finger nail etched in the tamper and it's not going anywhere.

I remember Cano with tables of meers from shows in the 90's he was friendly and passionate about meers. I think the last time I saw him at a show was at CPCC at Indian Lakes when he had his carver sitting in the foyer carving meers. The guy was barefoot and was curled up on the chair concentrating on the carving he was doing against his knee with a pile of shaving around him. 8O

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
What you saw is how most of the Turkish carvers prefer to work, though many prefer a bench or the floor to a chair.
I've heard that Cano is still alive, and I'd do just about anything to have a conversation with him, about CAO history, Bekler, etc.
The owner of Rich's Cigars in Portland (who, along with Iwan Ries, bought all of CAO's Bekler backstock - I don't know about the latter, but Rich's still has a case full of Beklers and many more in the shop's basement) housed Bekler when he did a US tour in the 80s or 90s, and said he was a very friendly sort, but knew next to no English. He knew greetings, basic direction, the name of the cocktail he liked, and "What's your sign, baby?"

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Apart from my 5 Beklers, the only thing I have from CAO is a Sopranos edition cigar box. It’s very striking, with a bright red enamel exterior and a black leather interior!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
612506cf-5e72-49cc-8f78-4bf7b4f1ec0c-481x600.jpg

Here’s what it looks like...

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Spiffy box. That's the third, arguably fourth, logo CAO has used, and was adopted after they dropped the line of pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.