PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Well, the title just about sums it up. I am looking for an apple shaped bowl (or anything of a more squat dimension) having a conical bore to it. This shape works well with the tobaccos I like to smoke. Does anyone have suggestions on manufacturers or models that fit this profile. I had a few like this that I got rid of, and now I am kicking myself... problem is that they were "italy" basket pipes(good luck trying to track down that pipe maker!)
Thanks guys...and gals.

May 31, 2012
It's rather difficult to find a true conical bowl,

there seems to be many semi-conical though.
Sadly,

this specification of inner bowl shape isn't part of the description and one really never knows until they have pipe in hand.
I have an old Preben Holm 2nd acorn shape that has a true conical bowl and I love it.
I have a pipe being made by David Enrique that'll have a conical bowl,

one of his squashed Rhodesians...

http://www.enriquepipes.com/en/galerie/2014/squashrhodesianshell.htm
Good luck in your searches,

hope you find some good ones,

I agree with you about conical bowls,

they're great!

:puffy:

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the tip, I am interested in semi-conical, do you have a recommendation for a semi-conical bored apple?

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Just to clarify, when I say conical (or tapered) bore, I am referring to the bore of the bowl, not the shank or stem like a Peterson system or what have you, thanks and keep the suggestions coming!

May 31, 2012
Maybe something from Stanwell?
Or,

perhaps an Icarus?

http://smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Icarus/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170372

May 31, 2012
Just to clarify, when I say conical (or tapered) bore, I am referring to the bore of the bowl, not the shank or stem like a Peterson system or what have you, thanks and keep the suggestions coming!
Yes.
This is good reading here...
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/10/28/finding-that-magic-fit-between-pipe-and-tobacco.html
:puffy:

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Yes, great article. I have read it before, that is why I tried the tapered bore to begin with. I had a Stanwell featherweights 243 with a taper, but I want a more squat profile. I think I might be onto something with the Capri Gozzos, I like basket type pipes, and I think they have the type of bore that I am looking for... maybe not completely conical, but tapered enough to concentrate flavours and minimize dottle. Thanks for your help thus far.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flake tobacco exclusively and I have quite a few apples(more than 6) in my collection. I have a large number of Dublins and Rhodesians with conical bowls in my collection(more than 10) and in all the years I have been smoking, I could never differentiate between the different shaped bowls. I honestly believe you are on a fools errand and would suggest giving it up. Just one man's opinion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know if there is a difference between how cylindrical bowls smoke versus conical, but I do notice that this is never mentioned in the online retailer specifications on pipes, even related to extra high end pipes. It has probably been mentioned somewhere, at some time, but it is not usual -- it is rare. This suggests that it is not known to be important. (Doesn't mean it isn't, only that it isn't generally known to be.) The ones I know (the one I own) in a conical configuration is from EWA, retailed online at Iwan Ries, Dublin bowls on churchwarden stems in a small pipe, Group 2. It works well with flake. I think apple shape pipes are unlikely to have conical bowls because the outer shape of the bowl suggests a cylindrical bore, to my unprofessional eye.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
@cigrmaster- In reading many of your posts I have seen that you are a flake man and that you generally if not always cube cut your flake. Whenever I have smoked flake I too have found cube cutting as the way to go. Never a shortage of flavour and almost always good tasting right down to the very last puff, with or without cake. Although flake is great, I live in Canada, and you know our pricing scheme here. I generally smoke Amphora Original Blend which in my opinion is an exceptional tobacco, but it is not a flake. It runs at $28 CAD. Flakes from Solani and Peterson's run for about $38 per tin, I don't know that I can justify the extra expense. A typical cylindrical bore with Amphora generally leads to unpleasant taste in the bottom quarter, and at the above mentioned price, I do not like wasting that bottom 25%, yet neither is it enjoyable to smoke. A more squat pipe with a tapered bore reduces the amount of dottle and unpleasant taste at the bottom of the bowl. I smoke once a day, and I cherish it. To build a cake in a rotation of pipes( I value pipe resting) smoking 1x a day takes months and months, that's months and months of wasted tobacco and an unpleasant end to the daily smoking experience. Thus I have been smoking cobs, they smoke better to the bottom, yet detract from the overall flavour for me. Would you comment on your reasons for exclusively smoking flake? I am open to conversion :) Convince me!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dawnpiper, the reason I smoke flakes exclusively is because I get a cooler more flavorful smoke than with any other type of cut of tobacco. Flakes when folded and stuffed or cub cut burn slower and cooler and give more flavors for me. You should check out 4noggins.com and smokingpipes.com for flake prices, they are very adept at servicing Canadian customers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dawnpiper, it occurs to me that an apple shape pipe with a conical bowl -- if you can't find one by asking for it directly from retailers online -- would make an ideal commission with an artisan carver. You have a wide range of price levels among carvers, and all of them might be willing to negotiate and adjust, if you have some flexibility on size and finish, etc. As I wrote earlier, I think most apple pipes tend to have cylindrical bowls (I'm guessing here) because of the somewhat rounded shape. But with a commission, conical could be one of the specifications. It's the perfect excuse to go for a commissioned pipe. If you can go with a not-namey carver who still does quality work, you could do this for a moderate price. Just go with photos of apple pipes with outside shapes you admire, and be flexible on finish, and see what various ones can do.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
would make an ideal commission with an artisan carver.
Assuming the price fits your budget, this is probably the only way you will find the pipe except sheer luck. Typically Conical bowls are reserved for shapes that demand them, Dublins, Cuttys etc. Even then, you will find thousands of those shapes that have standard round bottom straight sided tobacco chambers.

Dec 24, 2012
If I were you I would email smokingpipes.com customer service and ask them what they have. They are very helpful.
I feel sorry for all you Canucks with such a limited tobacco selection at outrageous prices.
Cheers.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks to all for the advice. Can someone point me to a "not-namey" carver, that I might approach with such a request? Style is not so much a factor as price. What can I expect to pay for utilitarian straight apple?

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Is this the shape you're looking for?
http://www.amazon.com/habano757-Harlekin-Stanwell-Volcano-Tobacco/dp/B00X33QF2S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436270102&sr=8-6&keywords=stanwell

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
max', I don't think the exterior shape is the key. dawnpiper wants a conical chamber, and I don't know if this one has it or not.
dawnpiper, my favorite carver us pretty illusive, and I don't even know if he does commissions, but you could ask. He doesn't have a retail presence online, except as a pipe repairman. I'll PM you his contact info, just because he's sort of a private guy. But I think he'd consider this and give you a straight answer. I don't know if he does conical bowls. Price-wise, he is kind of breathtaking; I take his work to go for half or third price. He just wants to do it his way -- which I admire.

Status
Not open for further replies.