PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I was into drinking good Port until about 5 or 6 years ago when I started having a problem with the sulfites that are in wines. Taylor, Dow, Graham, Sandeman and Cockburn are all good ports. Warre's are also good.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Something nobody has pointed out which may be useful for Port newbies. Port, like any wine, will oxidise when opened. Ruby and LBV will oxidise pretty quickly so it really needs to be drunk up within days or at least within a week or two. Tawny, on the other hand, has its Tawny colour because it has been aged in smaller barrels which 'breathe' and hence the wine inside is partially oxidised already in a slow and controlled manner.
For this reason, Tawny port will keep for a reasonable time on the shelf - for months if needed. This is why I would recommend a beginner to try Tawny first, because there is less pressure to finish the bottle quickly.
Another thing which might be helpful to know: the Portuguese often drink White Port with tonic or soda over ice. It makes a nice summer quencher.
Hope this all helps

Mike

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I ended up buying a bottle of Cockburn's Ruby Porto and a bottle of Taylor's Fladgate 20 Year Tawny Port. I intend to try the Cockburn's tonight after dinner with a bowl of Mac Baren's Dark Twist.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Voorhees, I looked up the San Sebastian Port from your link, on Vivino and it scored an impressive 4.2 stars out of 5, which is pretty good for a bottle that costs $19.99.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Damn...now it's Port. Why do I keep looking at these threads?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-QYRITpXrY

Dec 28, 2015
I was inspired by this thread along with all the previous posts about port to finally try some. I picked up a bottle of Sandeman’s ruby port and if all port is THIS sweet I have just got to say it is really not for me. Do you guys all just like sweet drinks? I have been trying to like it but it almost turns my stomach. I had to have a glass of scotch just to get the taste out of my mouth.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ That's good to know...because if it's really that sweet it wouldn't be for me either.

Dec 28, 2015
Wasn’t trying to be derogatory. And I knew it would be sweet (just not that sweet). And indeed everyone’s tastes are different.
Thanks philobeddoe that’s what I was wondering about.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Brian64, yes at this point I have tried the tawny port as well as the ruby, it is a little less sweet than the ruby, and I like them both really well.

I think that the tawny might be inching up as my favorite of the two.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks Mark & Philo...if I decide to try it it'll definitely be the Tawny. I don't normally care for anything that's extremely sweet, but the Tawny might be good for something different on occasion.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm a dry wine person, can't stand sweet. But Port is a different thing al together. The richness and alcohol content counterbalace the sweetness. It's dangerously good.

Reactions: Bengel

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Let us expand by not forgetting Madeira, Sherry, Marsala, etc. Any here old enough to remember: "Have some Madeira my dear." A wonderful Limelighter's air, referencing the seduction of ... a lady? Fortified wines are indeed the weapon of choice for disarming the ladies and not just for enjoying with a late night pipe. Multi talented libations all!

Reactions: Bengel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hong Kong, Subic Bay, and Long Beach are good ports. Cameron Bay is not so good because of the sandy bottom where you can drag anchor in the tides. Also because of the swimmer sappers, but I think that's over. Midway Island is a scenic port but lacks infrastructure and I think there is no population there at all currently. I had to get onto the "any port in a storm" line. Hong Kong really is gorgeous, with a little mountain, Victoria Peak, overlooking the harbor and a cog railroad climbing up the Peak at about a 45 degree angle. There are floating restaurants in the harbor, and elderly women will scull you out there in little boats with a single oar. Ah, now that's a good port.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Some California ports from Napa Valley are really nice single varietal ports. Recently found a great Zinfandel port.

Status
Not open for further replies.