PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm surprised no one mentioned Warre's Warrior. It is my personal favorite. I told my wife I wanted a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 1863 single harvest and she said okay until she saw the $4000 price tag and smacked me in the back of the head.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jpm', yes, 'Frisco is a beautiful port. My first trip to SFran was for Armed Forces Day, May 1970 (if I remember). Loved the city and went back three more times for business and pleasure. Soooo expensive to live there, but a great place to visit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Friends who sailed in and out of Bermuda in their own boat reported that is an authoritarian experience, and this was a family with kids. They wanted to unfold their underwear for contraband. You are guaranteed an orderly visit otherwise! Everyone marches around on good behavior. Hup-hup. However, not on my list of good ports.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
When Liqour Barn first opened they had a tasting bar and if 7 people would pony up the bottle cost they would open up vintage ports, in those days not too expensive. Do not know if that is still available or so cost effective;)
Excellent thread on Port, had to exhume(sorry Kevin)

Reactions: corncobguy

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
So I'm perhaps a little late on this( I was out for awhile) but the San Sebastian winery here in St Augustine has a stellar port that I think most would enjoy.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Any of these:

The plastic wrap is to protect my cellar as port has a tendency to seep past the cork. Not shown are a bunch of 1994 & 2011 Taylor-Fladgate.

To date the best port I've ever had is 1970 Taylor's. 40 year tawnys aren't worth the price and 30 years depend on the producer. Many 20 year tawnys are great. LBVs are among the best for the price and a great way to learn your preferences before spending money on a vintage. The 97 Niepoort vintage is drinking phenomenally right now and many 2011s are great too. The 94s seem tight and shutdown right now. I'm letting mine sleep for a couple more years before trying them again.

You can save some serious money if you can find vintage bottles that someone messed up the label on like I did on one of my 1970 Sandeman bottles. It was dang near half price and since I bought it to drink why care about the label?

Reactions: dmcmtk

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Around Thanksgiving, Costco starts selling its Kirkland Signature 10 year old Tawny Port, for less than $20.
It is a very good wine, reportedly produced by the Taylor Fladgate head winemaker. I always stock up when it's available.

Reactions: shanez

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What smokes well with port? Do you go all-sweet with a ruby/aro pair? Or drier with a va flake and tawny?

Ahhhh, I was hoping that the title was a euphemism. ha ha

I have been going to Friday night wine tastings with the wife. I am slow to taking to alcohol of any sorts. I still haven't found a beer that doesn't trip my gag reflex, but wine... I probably could grow to actually like. The Tawny ports are definitely drinkable, IMO. But, I just can never do more than one glass.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Around Thanksgiving, Costco starts selling its Kirkland Signature 10 year old Tawny Port, for less than $20.
It is a very good wine, reportedly produced by the Taylor Fladgate head winemaker. I always stock up when it's available.

I forgot about that one even though I have a couple bottles left from last year. Fantastic value and yes the Taylor winemaker is involved.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The port of Hong Kong has had quite a history. When I was there, the guide said that in 1997, the British Crown Colony would disband and Hong Kong would again be part of China. So it was, though it seemed like the distant future at the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My least favorite port was Guam where we were dry-docked for what seemed like months, and none of the officers made any effort to get the crew into town. So I saw the naval station gym and running track, and the ship. I guess everyone was just biding time. No one saw any opportunities. A decade or so later, Guam became overrun by green snakes (really) that showed up everywhere, brought in with some freight by some ship. Glad we didn't have to contend with those. The sea snakes in the South China had cancelled swim call off the whale boat before I ever got there. Sea stories for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.