PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Ok, I know this might be heresy but I am looking for blend that has a really strong casing. Whether it be strawberry, vanilla, cherry, chocolate or whatever. My son has taken up the pipe and no matter what the blend is he can't taste anything. We have tried Virginia's, burley's, English, oriental and he gets nothing out of any of them. So I had him try some aromatics and he told me he sort of got something out of some of those but even that was only on the retrohale not something he could taste. According to my local tobacconist that depending on his body chemistry he might just be the type that needs something so strong that the rest of us would get sick from it. So any suggestions out there?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Though not really strong, Exotic Orange is very flavorful.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/rattrays-exotic-orange

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Sutliff Molto Dolce is almost dripping with casing/flavorings.

I prefer Sutliff Black Cordial, easier to keep lite but still a strong flavor.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Is he nic tolerant? Give the kid some Irish Flake if so.

If not, as Embers suggested, some Lakelands should do.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
This is what you want - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4329/dan-tobacco-blue-note
This is the sweetest blend I have ever tried and certainly one of the most unique. It is not goopy or gunky, just plain sweet. Blue Note is cotton candy disguised as tobacco.
This will be your creme' de la creme' and if Sherlock Holmes tasted that stuff he'd turn over in his grave.

Sep 18, 2015
Suttlif summer nights it's a rassberry. If you want to pm me your address I would be MORE than happy to send you a sample

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
As I remember many of the Sutliff blends have a heavy or strong casing, one of the reasons I quit buying from that make, but if that is what you are looking for then Im sure you will find a blend to fit you liking

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks everybody, between the Suttlif summer nights and couple of the other recommendations hopefully we will find something that he enjoys.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing wrong with aromatics of whatever strength, but not being able to taste tobaccos raises the question, why smoke tobacco? Even highly flavored aromatics are designed to at least accompany tobacco flavors. Sure, try him on some strong aromatics, and maybe some robust cigars. But if he can't taste much tobacco, maybe he's just not a logical person to smoke a pipe.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Part of it is that I smoke a pipe and his grandfather smoked a pipe. So he grew up watching us and when grandpa passed away and left his pipe to him it became important for him to carry it on. He has said that at the very least he will go with aromatics but its a connection to his grandfather that's important to him. And I can't argue that. The other part of it is that the meditative process of smoking a pipe helps him focus on his writing. So I will get him the recommended blends and we will see how it works. Thanks

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nothing wrong with aromatics of whatever strength, but not being able to taste tobaccos raises the question, why smoke tobacco?
Because you can't fit a watermelon into a pipe?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
As to the OP, perhaps he hasn't been smoking long enough to develop his smoker's palate. He could also be smoking too hot and fast causing the flavors to get incinerated, and all he is getting is flavorless hot air.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It involves a little DIY but I enjoy taking some Classic Burley Kake and pouring a bit of Ouzo or anisette into the mason jar. Let it marry for a week, turning the jar every day or so to even things out. Excellent if you enjoy licorice type flavors and it smokes easy and cool.
Ren

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I would not pay a tribute to grandpa with Aromatics.
There is Mac Baren HH Old-Dark Fired that I forgot to mention, slightly nic-light version of Irish Flake.

Also I have a tin of Pirate Kake now and it is overwhelming in taste.

The most overwhelming blend I've sampled to the day remains Picayune, but it is the strongest in nic department as well.
Did you give him anything on this list here? Link to Tobaccoreviews

If not it might just be that he is undersensitive to taste, I myself can not really get much taste out of blends that are under medium in taste department.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
This may sound off the wall to ask but if he is congested or has any kind of allergies or sinus trouble that will affect his enjoyment. Have him use a dose of afrin nasal spray or sudafed 30 mins before his next smoke. A dose of Allegra for the allergies. It sounds strange but this solved a similar problem a buddy I was introducing to pipes had. He didn't have a runny nose or anything but his sinuses were evidently coated. Give it a try.

On the tobacco question. Sutliff has the heaviest casings in my opinion but aromatics don't give much taste anyways. The suggestion above of Blue Note is spot on. Best taste you are going to find in an aromatic. Has perique been explored? A heavy perique blend like Escudo could be the ticket to finding flavor.

Additionally I would suggest ample enjoyment of the tin note prior to smoking to affect the olfactory senses and engage them.

And finally I would suggest lighting the pipe for him. I have noted that newer pipe smokers can burn the tongue with the lighting process and then, just like with too hot coffee, they can't taste anything for half the day.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
As to the OP, perhaps he hasn't been smoking long enough to develop his smoker's palate. He could also be smoking too hot and fast causing the flavors to get incinerated, and all he is getting is flavorless hot air.
Very good point. This was sort of the case when I started. I was practically huffing the pipe. Slowing down and "sipping" helped a lot -
Also, I find that until I smoke 5-10 bowls in a new pipe, the flavor is somewhat muted -
~another DAN blend (bluenote) which is somewhat strong is Milonga. I grabbed a tin after Kevin's awesome review earlier this year. It's a very good aromatic.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the attraction to pipe smoking is his connection to his grandfather -- and no doubt you as well -- but he doesn't get much flavor from tobacco, I think the answer is for him to smoke as a ritual on special occasions, his grandfather's birthday and maybe yours and his own. On these occasions he can smoke whatever blend pleases him most, even if it doesn't bowl him over. No sense in his struggling to become a regular pipe smoker if it isn't a regular pleasure to him. Pipe smoking is actually a pretty good ceremonial practice and has served that purpose quite aside from recreational smoking, for centuries. His grandpa's pipe will serve the purpose nicely.
Or, as 'embers suggestions, maybe watermelon rinds could be dried and smoked, but I don't think so.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I don't know if I would classify it as super cased, but C and D Autumn Evening is a great Maple Aro.
Others I can think of

Captain Black?

Maybe some Black XX or other twist tobacco. Not an aromatic but strong.

Boswell Christmas Cookie

I'm not a fan but Lakeland blends have a unique strong flavor to me.
My 2 cents.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I recall some commentators referring to Sillem's Black as something like Captain Black times 10 or on steroids and similar. I don't think it's anything like CB myself... I like it because is a strong aro with latakia and other quality bakkies in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.