PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have been kicking the idea around of starting a local pipe club here in Long Island New York since I picked up a pipe.

Recently I met a few fellow pipe smokers on Facebook who showed an interest. I have been doing some footwork and think we have the beginnings of

A club.

Today I went to a local B&M and found that the gentleman running it has some great pipe knowledge and is willing to have us as a group.

If there is anyone here from Long Island interested I hope you will get back to me and we can get a groundswell going.

That said I could also use some advice on starting a pipe club. One of our people was talking about registering with the UPCA.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
twang, where are you? Alas, I no longer live on Long Island, but was in Montauk (THE END) from 1995-2015. :)

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Hi Dave, I am in Port Jefferson, grew up in Massapequa.

Montauk is a beautiful spot, but waaay out there!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might need two clubs; that is indeed one Long Island. My wife used to live in Ridge, near Riverhead, about midpoint. I enjoyed going up there, and to NYC also, over several years until my wife moved down here and married me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Joining the UPCA is a good idea and very inexpensive. One of the great benefits is the opportunity to buy the Chicago Show slow smoke competition pipe each year. The prices for those pipes are excellent. Our club ordered 12 this past year.

Good luck with your club. Print some info up and ask the B&M owner to hand it out the info to his customers. Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Hey

Thanks for the responses.

@MSO it is indeed a Long Island. We were discussing maybe having alternating meetings, east and west.

@Papipeguy I definitely agree with some form of flyer. Have been working on coming up with a logo and maybe an email address contact.

I pm’ed anyone interested feel free to message me here or hit me up on IM @twangthang65
Cheers

Jim

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
So when it rains it pours. The Long Island Pipe Club has coming along splendidly. We have been meeting regularly and our numbers have been swelling.

We registered with the UPCA and bought the domain name for the club.

Another group popped up on the west end of the island and we are talking with them to work out meetings at both the east end west end of the island.

Having never been able to find other pipe smokers (aside from online) to talk about the hobby. I have found some great friends and talk almost every day.

Our next meeting is Tuesday April 9th at Miller’s Ale House in Lake Grove.

If you are on Long Island or just visiting we would love to see you there!

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh, wow, I can't believe I missed this the first time around!!! I'm in Farmingville and it's hard to get to lower manhattan in rush hour the second tuesday of every month.

Now, I'm not trying to stir up stuff here but Miller's? I'll stick to the if you dont have anything nice to say addage but being theres no smoking allowed I'm not sure why you'd all want to drink $9 draft beers with a caucophony of mall rats.. Be cool if we could smoke in the Steamroom across from the PJ ferry eh?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Hey Twangthang, sorry I sent you duplicate messages, both with no subject of course. As punishment I will order something at Miller's...

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
@eggroll I like the cut of your jib. I live right down the block from the Steam room. We normally meet at Matador Cigars in Happauge but since the weather is warming up we figured we would give Miller’s a try. One of the club members and myself met up there and sat outside on their patio and they didn’t have a problem with us smoking our pipes. Let’s see how they do with 10 to 15 pipes smokers!

Really hope to see you at the next meeting!

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Oh well that's a horse of a different color, haha. I can't smoke a pipe in a place that holds the worlds record for screens on a wall, alternating with plastic fish.. But outside sounds interesting. Hope to see hou there...

mysticpiper

Lurker
Mar 30, 2019
Greetings all! I am happy to have found this thread and would like to introduce myself. My screen name is "mysticpiper" but my family and friends call me "Q" :D
I'm relatively new to the hobby (only been smoking for a few months) but the ONLY people I know who smoke pipes are online! I am interested in a local Long Island group/club and smoking buddies. I live with my wife in East Northport, Suffolk County. I am an older gent of 61 (or OLD MAN as my wife likes to say! lol) and I'm interested in meeting people who are mature and respectful of others.
Hope to hear from you, folks.... happy puffing!

Status
Not open for further replies.