PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've tried four or five Dunhill blends. A few I really like, and one or two I don't. I don't hear much about London Mixture, but it gets some good reviews on smokingpipes.com. If you've tried it, what do you think? I really like MM965 and Nightcap, for comparison purposes. Seems like London Mixture emphasizes Turkish and Orientals? It's billed as mild but flavorful. I found Mellow Mixture not so mellow, and Standard Mixture somewhat blah.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
FWIW, I find more enjoyment from the Pease and Standard of PA blends, but maybe I am prejudiced, thinking Dunhill is past its prime as a blender.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like the stuff quite a bit. It may not be on my "gotta have a tin open all the time" list, but I always have a few tins in the cellar and it regularly rotates through my "English blends I really like" list. It has a great flavor profile, and is a nice break from the all-out scorched-earth Lat bombs.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I really like London Mixture; a smooth Oriental predominant smoke. MM 965 is meat and potatoes, Nightcap is post big meal/end of day smoke whereas London Mixture is a great anytime smoke; great change of pace for your palate throughout the day. Makes whatever I smoke after it better because I pick up more flavors in the next smoke; like London Mix is a tasty palate cleanser.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I also really like London Mixture a lot. Definitely Oriental forward with a sweet spiciness. If you like a Latakia punch in the face to go with your English blends the LM might not fit the bill for you, but it really is very very good.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I have found London Mix a smooth smoke but then I don't get bit by EMP either. It's stronger than EMP but far less than Nightcap......about equal with MM965. So medium??? Medium light??

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I don't find London Mixture bitey at all. If by strength you're talking nicotine I'd say medium-low.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I went through 2 or 3 tins earlier this year, and I keep meaning to get some more. I really enjoyed it. I remember a great any time smoke with no bite, definitely more oriental forward, and smooth. It didn't blow my socks off strength wise or anything but it was a solid light-medium english that fit well as a midday smoke.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I've only smoked it once or twice but was pleasantly surprised by London Mixture. It's dry, mildly astringent with a wonderful herbal character. I preferred it to my samples of EMP and Nightcap.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you enjoy Nightcap and MM965 then London Mixture should be right up you alley. EMP and what they used to call Std Mix Mild are actually fuller because of the higher Virginia percentage. LM, MM965 and LM have more Orientals and Latakia so they smoke "easier" generally speaking.They also have more flavor. MP and Standard Mixtures do age very well though.
Mik S.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
London Mixture, although touted as the quintessential English blend, is actually a Balkan because of its high Oriental/Turkish content. The best descriptor is "balanced". The most similar blend, to me, is SG Skiff Mixture, although London Mixture is a little fuller bodied.

pinem

Might Stick Around
Aug 16, 2015
Nebraska
LM was the first blend that really struck a chord with me. Other than Peases' Westminster blend, any other suggestions on similar blends?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I like it a lot.
G.L. Pease's Westminster is consistently (to my taste) like a "really good tin" of London Mixture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
r, what luck! I happen to already have an unopened tin of GLP Westminster, and generously offered sample of LM.

Status
Not open for further replies.