PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Any one have any interesting ideas on keeping a log for their cellar? Mine is pretty small, but finally grown above what a single drawer can keep. So I decided to put everything into a spreadsheet to keep track of what I've got. Since it's now just two drawers that are right next to each other, I'm not concerned about finding the things listed, but I figure eventually I'll have to add a "Location" column saying where each tin is in my place. I'll probably take care of that when I get a new apartment next year. Here's a link to my cellar list. Check it out, let me know if there's anything else I should add, or how you do it differently. Or, if you don't have any log, feel free to steal my idea!
:puffy:

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
For some reason, logging my 'cellar' seems like more trouble than it's worth ... if it works for you and/or any others here, more power to you ...
I've know guys who used a spread sheet to keep track of their cigar stash and even though my cigar 'cellar' grew to herculean proportions, I just couldn't conceive of making an entry on a spread sheet every time I made a 'withdrawal' from my supply ...
Sometimes this has led to my finding 'surprises' that I'd forgotten I had, but that's never been a bad thing in my opinion and if my pipe tobacco 'cellar' grows to proportions similar to what the cigars did, perhaps down the road I'll find some surprises there too.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I had downloaded PipeSmoker Unleashed. got a free trial. When I actually decided to go ahead and input everything, couldn't buy the full version anymore. Anyone feeling generous and want to share their registration code with me? :roll:
I also signed up for a website, that a few of the guys here use. I figured it too much of a bother to go ahead and input everything. I even went to go photograph my cellar, I had decided it would be too time consuming (my son had just woken up from a nap as I had started). I'd rather spend my free time smoking.
So, I don't bother documenting my cellar. Wish I woulda started earlier. It probably would've fallen by the wayside for me anyway. I like to open up my cabinet and see what's in there. If something's buried, I'll get to it eventually. I'm not to the point yet where I'm stocking up on certain tobaccos. When I smoke through what I got, if I find something I fall in love with, I'll just order some more.
I see you have mostly GLP blends, something I have yet to explore.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Try tobaccocellar.com perhaps? It is easy to track, and even gives an estimate on how long your current cellar will last based on approximate consumption. I love it.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Try tobaccocellar.com perhaps?
Thanks for posting that. I had stumbled onto it a couple weeks ago and didn't bother looking at the URL or even bookmarked it. Ya just saved me some search engine time. :)

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
It must be the geek in me, but I started wondering just how much I was smoking. So I created a spreadsheet.
I track my cellar so I know what I have on hand at any given time. I have a tab for opened tins/bulk as well. I then move it to a "completed" tab once finished so I can see how much of what I'm smoking, average bowls per ounce, etc.
I also keep track of every bowl smoked: maker, blend, pipe used. I then calculate average bowls per day, average grams per specific pipe, etc.
It is a lot of work, but interesting. I do not plan on tracking for much longer (been doing it about 2 months) other than the cellar info.
Happy cellaring! :puffy:

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I was wanting to do the same thing and keep track of my supply. There is another post on the forums about a app for iPhone, or other iDevice called Pipe Tool. Only thing I wish it had was a log for pipes too. It is nice as it keeps track of how long your supply will last, and how many pound you have. Wife told me to stop buying as I have two pounds of baccy. :puffy:
Gonna look into that PipeSmoker Unleashed as it tracks your pipe collection.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Thanks undecagon, for the Google Drive Idea. I just got done inputting my cellar( while I should be in bed) and did resurrect and old post "Whats in You Cellar" to show it off. This is one of the many things I enjoy about the camaraderie of this great forum.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I know some go the spreadsheet route, but not I. I write the date on the bottom of the tin or jar lid and call it good. Of I misplace it, one day I'll just come across some forgotten aged tobacco.

B

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I keep a list on my computer of what I have, the "product description" and when I got it/cellared it. That is all I do though, I couldn't go all out with spreadsheets. It is just a word document with titles, a bit of text and dates.
I call mine my "Tobacco Menu."

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I actually went a bought a journal and intended to keep a log. After the first day of logging, popping tins, adding notes and the like it felt like work. Now I don't have the cellars that many of you have but like Roth and Sfsteves I just pop my head in, whatever jumps out at me gets smoked. I hope one day I will have forgotten about a tin and realize it is 7 yrs old and have a surprise on my hands.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I dont keep a log, my cellar is a galss fronted cabinet which lends well to stock control. Jars on one shelf, unopened tins packets on another. The only thing I do is label the jars with the contents and date I filled them. I also mark the date of purchase on the bottom of the tins.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife did an inventory earlier this summer. Simple spreadsheet with brand/tobacco name/seller/0-10 rating /amount/comment.
I was really surprised at the amount I had. I use it to keep my ordering controlled.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I might make a spreadsheet. I do really enjoy opening up the box and digging around and realizing I've got something awesome like 2005 Ashbury or something else I totally forgot about. But a spreadsheet would be nice for my regular blends that I'd really like to let sit for a year or three before I crack a tin.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I get tobacco in, I write on the tin or jar the date. I have a piece of paper that holds the blends I have and either number of tins I bought or pounds of bulk I bought. The only reason I even had the piece of paper was to keep track while I was building my cellar. Now my cellar is complete, I never look at that piece of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.