PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Since Google Maps added driving directions, I haven't bothered with a dedicated GPS unit. I've used Google on both my iPhone and my new Android-based Samsung.
Back when I was actively shopping for one, though (and renting them in unfamiliar cities where I was renting a car), I had the best experiences with Garmin units. Magellans, in my experience, were noticeably less reliable.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Sorry. Not much interested in technology. I own what most people would describe as an "obsolete" phone so I need one of these Garmin GPS's. Which one and why and where to buy.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Terry ... stick with one of the "big boys" in names ... Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom.
My mother has the Tom Tom and likes it quite a bit.
As for where to buy online, compare prices with Amazon, Best Buy and Walmart.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As some may already know, I am allergic to technology, but I have worked with a Garmin GPS. When

they are working and sympatico with the driver and/or navigator, they can be a real blessing. However,

when I already know the area, except maybe the last few turns, I am amazed at how circuitous and

arbitrary the routes are. I think the GPS program has default options, going for minimal mileage or

other assigned perimeters. This results in phenomenon like always taking you on the heavily trafficked

express roads and larger arterial highways, and often the least pleasant, least scenic ways possible.

Four more minutes, and your blood pressure is protected, but GPS has no idea. Sometimes it seems they

are going for the maximum number of turns, especially left turns in traffic. They will often bring me home an

entirely different way -- did the mileage suddenly change on the original route? I prefer mapquest online,

where I can get to the last quarter of the trip and then follow their suggestions. Sometimes, traveling with GPS

is a godsend; other times it is the magical mystery tour, and not in a good way.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
I highly recommend this particular model:

Garmin nüvi 2597LMT 5-Inch Bluetooth Portable Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AXX0I88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I painstakingly compared every single Garmin made device for over a week in September to find the very best one for the price and the features. I purchased mine from Amazon and bought the two year insurance from SquareTrade. You only want insurance from SquareTrade, not that other company. I despise driving and it's helped me a lot by telling me everything that I need to know. It has full lifetime updates, is ready to go in a matter of minutes, has voice commands, trip planner, warns you about traffic and suggests alternate routes on the fly, great screen size and resolution, accurately shows exactly what lane you want to be in, everything. There is no doubt in my mind that I picked the best model from a price and feature standpoint. This is high end without breaking the bank. If you go for this model remember to get the beanbag stand as well. It works great. Hope that helps.
Garmin Portable Friction Mount

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Portable-Friction-Mount-Frustration/dp/B002OL2MU4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've used both my smartphone and a dedicated GPS on my last vacation to New Mexico. The phone GPS is ok if you remember to download the maps beforehand and not rely on having cell towers being available wherever you go. The other downside was the GPS, data connection and screen constantly on was draining the battery quickly. When I plugged my phone into the dash adapter it tended to get disturbingly hot.
The Garmin on the other hand has all the maps preloaded, was easier to see and directed us more accurately. For instance, Both Google Maps and Waze directed us to streets in the rear of our motel in Santa Fe via a rather tortuous route while the Garmin delivered us more directly to the driveway in the front.
You may have a different experience with different phones and apps.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Whichever you decide on, check for update policy (Garmin is expensive if not included) and sufficient memory (loading from SD card is s-l-o-w). I've had good luck with a fairly old Garmin. At least models of Tom-Tom from a few years ago were slower to acquire satellites, but updates were free.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
This might be a tad off topic but is there a GPS unit that allows you to enter the route you want, route numbers etc,? Another way to say it is I want to tell GPS how I want to get there and I want the GPS to keep me on course. Does that exist and am I completely off the wall for wanting to use one that way? I love the technology but truth be told I rely more on maps than my Garmin.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I personally use my smart phone. We have very high tech GPS devices in our trucks here at work and my smart phone still pulls up the location faster and is easier to follow. Im sure there are tons of different ones, so do your research but I have had good luck with my phone.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I should have bought my Garmin a couple decades ago. I am legendary for my ability to get lost. But I still have trouble. My GPS is very annoyed at me for not following her advice. TURN AROUND, PLEASE RETURN TO THE ROAD, ETC. Recently she actually congratulated me for following her directions for the entire trip. Maybe I am trainable, but my wife disagrees.
Winton
FYI, the rumors that I got lost in an elevator are NOT true. I was only confused why the floors went from 12 to 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.