PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I just can't take it anymore. I hear so many good things about these guys, so I just put in my first order ever with LJ Peretti.
Burley - Cuban Mixture

English - Oriental No. 40

English - Tashkent

English - Smith's Own

English - Royal

Yuletide
That is all.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm hoarding a few paint cans I picked up in forum trade, but I've only tried the Thanksgiving Day Blend so far.
I had to google the Yuletide just now. I found it for sale on their site, but no description.
My google-fu is weak today. Any help appreciated.
jay-roger.jpg

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I'm smoking some Thanksgiving day right now that a generous forum member sent me and even though I'm freezing my tail off I am thoroughly enjoying it.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
You have some great ones. I personally think Royal is the best Balkan available (maybe better than the Sobranie White that people compare it to), and Tashkent is one of the richest, most aromatic, incense like smokes you will ever experience.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
You have some great ones. I personally think Royal is the best Balkan available (maybe better than the Sobranie White that people compare it to), and Tashkent is one of the richest, most aromatic, incense like smokes you will ever experience.
Can't wait. This whole exercise started with me trying some cigar leaf blends and seeing Cuban Mixture come up a bunch of times in discussions. Then someone sent me some thanksgiving day and it was so quality I knew it was time to quit screwing around and put an order in before the Christmas blend was gone!!!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have only tried the Cuban Mixture and the Tashkent. Both are very tasty and left me wanting more. For what it’s worth, I tried the Boston and Cambridge flakes and bought a paint can of the Cambridge! I plan on buying a paint can of Tashkent and 432 next time I go. Enjoy them often!

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Pride of Loch Lomond

Tashkent

Royal

British

Dundee

Park Square

Are all great blends. I bought a dozen or so 2 oz samples a couple years ago, ordered a couple paint cans since. Going through these blends was a lot of fun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
black', give us a report as you try them. I like their non-aro burley best, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
black', give us a report as you try them. I like their non-aro burley best, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
So my household got stuck down by flu over the holidays. I ended up looking at these blends for a while before I was well enough to smoke them. As of now, the only one I have yet to try is the Smith's Own. I have to say that each and every Peretti blend I have tried has been made of fantastic quality leaf. I mean, really really good stuff. I have enjoyed each of the blends I've tried. But I have to say that today I tried Royal Blend for the first time. I immediately knew that this was now one of my favorite blends. It was so good, at times sweet, others tangy. So so good. Cuban and Tashkent have also been very good, as have Yuletide and Thanksgiving Day. I guess I'm going to have to just work through their entire catalog...
One good thing about trying this stuff, is it made me realize that if the FDA hammer drops and a lot of my favorites are no more, I could probably survive quite nicely with just Peretti blends.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
LJ Peretti is classic.
You have got some great blends in your order.

Oct 7, 2016
Directly or indirectly, the FDA changes could impact shops ability to offer their own blends. Just spoke with a well regarded blender today who was bemoaning the increasing difficulty of sourcing tobaccos. Shops such as Peretti do not process their own leaf. They are dependent on primary leaf processors. With the exception of Mark Ryan, every licensed primary processor I know of in the US is owned by a multi national for whom base ingredient pipe tobacco sales total up to a rounding error. At the very least, how much more added paperwork will these companies choose to put up with?
Moral: If you like a shop blend, don't count on it always being available despite the best wishes of the shop. Or the intentions (and hopes, since the ones I have met over the years at shows like their jobs and want to keep them) of the managers of these divisions of the multi national companies that are in control. These are fine people, but they are pretty far down the food chain when it comes to making financial decisions as to what lines of business to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.