PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
What's a list of solid/reliable pipe lighters?
I've got four nice pipes, but I go through lighters every couple of weeks.
help me out...
Todd

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hi Todd,

welcome to the forum. I am sure that I will not be the only one to say Zippo. Solid, reliable, life time warranty, relatively inexpensive, but you will need a bottle of fluid as they need to be refilled every few days.

jjjarhead

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
zippo with pipe insert. advantages: durable, outdoor-friendly, one-hand operation, no need to press your thumb down constantly, budget friendly, doesn't scorch the rim; disadvantages: you may taste gas for a few seconds, especially if it's recently refilled, doesn't light the initial light as good as butane lighters, flame temperature is higher than butane lighters so it may cause bite more.
Ren

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
This is what I bought and their refillable. Perfect for lighting pipes, you won't burn your fingers. They even sent me extras. I'll never have to buy a pipe lighter again. I purchased these 3 months ago and am still using the first 2 lighters.

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-1445-20-19-Lighters/dp/B016946BTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485306973&sr=8-1&keywords=slide+lighters

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Buy an IM Corona Pipemaster. Best pipe lighter on the market.

I really like my Pipemaster. Mike from Briar Blues has a nice looking estate like mine with box along with a Old Boy on today's update. 8O

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
If you have fond childhood memories of standing behind a Greyhound bus as it pulls away -- then by all means get a Zippo.
You say you have "nice pipes"?! Get a nice lighter.
You want a flint pipelighter to start: Corona, Kiribi, Tsubota. With Peterson, etc. being derivatives/made-by.
What would Lt. Howard Hunter do?
Take philobeddoe's initial advice... look at that avatar: a gentleman pipe smoker.
I have a Kiribi, a Tsubota (imaged below), and others (Colibri, Xikar ignition flame lighters).

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
+1 on the Zippo. It's one of my favorite lighters. If you can find an IMCO Triplex, those are good too, unless you're looking for a butane lighter.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I love my Xikar Scribe
110357_0.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Corona Old Boy has served me well, and I can recommend it without reserve. The Pipemaster is supposed to be even better. The Superior lift-arm petrol lighter has been the most reliable, except for the fact that it needs frequent refills. I have it adjusted to a very small flame. It's nice to have a vintage throw-back utensil to use with all of the vintage throw-back pipes smoked by this vintage throw back pipe smoker. I also have two Dunhill Rollagas lighters that I love for their design, feel and density. Alas, they are not as functional as the Old Boy, but they are still my favorites.
D1EE747ACAFAE22190ABC3B2B_edit-vi.jpg
Left to right: A vintage lift-arm "Superior" petrol lighter; A newer Dunhill Rollagas gold-plated; A vintage Dunhill Rollagas silver plated.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Never had Grayhound in Alaska. I have stared at the back end of a bunch of sled dogs for a few hours at a time. Neither the tobacco nor the pipe has any idea what is providing the flame. So, for me, it is only a matter of dependability. Zippo, with or without insert, work well in the wind. The Bic requires a bit more consideration of wind direction and shielding than the Zips but, very dependable.
I find the Old Boys and imitations not that useful in any type of breeze.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Vintage lighters for a vintage guy. I also love the feel and heft of the old Rollagas lighters. I've got one in a drawer somewhere.
Somewhere, is an old, Ronson I believe, with a naked girl smiling seductively from the reservoir. If I find it, you get it as it will look entirely out of place in your collection.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
img60531741.jpg
Oh, yeah. I have one of those, too.
I like to use it in the car at night. Mostly because I can still remember, as a little kid, heading home from Thanksgiving at the cousins in New Jersey. It was dark, raining hard, windy and cold. I stared out the back window of the Studebaker Lark, into the headlights of the car behind us. A flicker of orange light appeared, then more as the man behind us sparked a Zippo over his pipe. Flames shot up, silently illuminating the interior of the car, revealing another family just like mine, heading home to Pennsylvania from Thanksgiving dinner in New Jersey.
And thanks, Warren. I've always wanted one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.