PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I tend to buy those Chinese crap angled gas lighters in batches of five at a time. I say crap because they only last a couple of months at best afore the 'clicker' stops working...usually just after being freshly filled with gas :roll:
When they are working they are great but then I do only smoke indoors...I doubt they would be much use in a howling gale.
At around £12 for five, I don't complain (too much).
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 7, 2016
Have used an Old Boy for around 20 years, seen some rough handling, never failed, would buy another if I lost it. Use a Zippo with a pipe insert out of doors. Use matches more than either, though.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
This is what I bought and their refillable. Perfect for lighting pipes, you won't burn your fingers. They even sent me extras. I'll never have to buy a pipe lighter again. I purchased these 3 months ago and am still using the first 2 lighters.

https://www.amazon.com/Slide-1445-20-19-Lighters/dp/B016946BTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485306973&sr=8-1&keywords=slide+lighters
I've used these for years. The new version is even better.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
can i use the "standard" can of Xikar PUROFINE premium butane, or do i have to buy special fuel?

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I have a "old boy" knock off and they are nice lighters for the money
https://www.amazon.com/Yibao-Antique-Butane-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B019041TSS/ref=lp_8518716011_1_1_a_it?srs=8518716011&ie=UTF8&qid=1485406769&sr=8-1&th=1

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I like the Z-pipe insert for a zippo. You can see my review here. Got this 8 months ago. Use it multiple times a week. Works well outside. Still works great.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/z-pipe-lighter-insert-review
My backup lighter is a Xikar scribe. I like it because it will fit down into a deep bowl.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you smoke outdoors, Zippo with pipe insert is far and away the best choice. Let it burn one second before drawing and there is no fuel taste whatsoever (assuming you use Zippo fuel). If you don't carry it on you, keeping it in a small, airtight container helps prolong the refill interval.
If you smoke indoors, then a $1 BIC knock-off or a free book of matches is as effective as an expensive refillable butane lighter, albeit lacking the panache factor.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
This is where I make my usual pitch for Zippo butane candle lighters. Been using one single one for 10 years? Maybe 15? Trouble free, refillable. I also like how I can get into deep bowls without burning my fingers.
zippomultipurpose-candlelighter.png

Last I checked, they were holding price-wise at around $12. I love mine and use it all the time.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've had my Colibri since like 2002-2003. It's electronic with a soft flame. Only issue I've had is that it doesn't want to light from time to time and takes several clicks. Otherwise, very sturdy and if taken care of, will last a long time. I'd definitely suggest steering away from their cheaper models, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.