PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I don't like Zippo lighters or rather it's the fuel I don't like. Having to filling the lighter every few days, tasting the fluid when I light a pipe and evaporting fuel from the lighter that's not being used are enough negatives to make me not own another zippo. Sure they're windproof but if it's too windy to use a butane lighter behind a cupped hand then it's too windy to smoke a pipe.
My favourite lighter is the IM Corona Pipemaster.

danno44

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
I also use a zippo withpipe insert. It just plain works. One thing I noticed, is I acquired a birth year zippo. When I swapped out insert for a pipe insert, it maybe me, but the fit on the insert to the shell was a touch more snug. Likely because the newer inserts have a raised bevel on each side of insert, where in the 60's at least they didn't. Since swapping inserts, and using everyday all day I went from filling every 3 days to once a week. Just an observation, and I don't pick up any flavor from the fluid, let it burn a few seconds then apply flame to baccy. Some folks are more sensitive it appears to the fluid. Growing up with dad usied a zippo and me I've been using one for over 30 years, I actually enjoy the smell, brings back good memories.

One day I may spring for a high end lighter just because. But for now Zippo is just fine for me.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
No matter how long it burns, I taste the fluid

The new fluid has much less taste to it. In my army days we used to cut Naptha 50/50 with rubbing alcohol to remove some of the taste.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have 3 different lighters.
1. Colibri, which I bought over 15yrs ago and is still going, but because it's electric, not flint, the clicker is finally starting to die some.

2. Xikar pipe lighter. Has been a good lighter, but the finish and overall quality is lower.

3. Zippo - Can't go wrong with a Zippo. Also, instead of getting the pipe insert and using the normal lighter fluid, I bought Butane pipe lighter inserts from Vector Thunderbird. These use a flint and work very nicely. I carry my zippo everywhere. I've only killed one of these inserts in over 5+yrs.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
For Zippo with a pipe insert, a small film of vaseline around the insert casing extends the time between refills by making the insert "air tight." The only "leak" point should be the wick/evaporation.
I happen to be one of the few who crave the smell of a Greyhound bus and love my Zippo. And I will say that once, when I was 9, I did get a hind-end view of a sleg-dog team at the Annual Fur Rendezvous in Anchorage - I can't say that I noticed any particular gas smell from them. :rofl:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I use an Old Boy in my home. I keep stick matches and a Zippo in my car. I also have an Imco that never fails to light when called upon. It sits in my golf bag and lights a pipe as well as a cigar whenever it is called upon. Cheap, reliable and refillable. It's a good choice. The Lotus I11 is a a reliable mid price choice as well. You see them On eBay.
Mike S.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Zippo and, though not a "pipe" lighter, Bic does a superb job lighting pipes. Also, a Peterson "Old Boy" wannabe has done yeoman's work for me these past ten years.
I have come to prefer the Peterson wannabe to the real Corona "Old Boy". The Peterson has more fuel capacity and a somewhat better flame. They both come from Japan.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...flame temperature is higher than butane lighters so it may cause bite more."
How on earth can the temperature of the flame used to light the pipe bring on tongue bite?
Regards,
Jay.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Zippo's IMHO are a PITA.. I have Bic's stashed everywhere, just in case. I have the Old Boy which hasn't missed a beat in 5+ years. (Keep it c!ean and use good fuel). But, I find myself reaching for the Scribe most of the time. The perfect pipe lighter!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't like zippos for the previously mentioned reasons.
I've got a Kiribi and it works great.
I think the real question is why are you having so much problems with lighters?? What lighters have you been using and what's the problem? Losing them? Not functioning?

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I have had good luck with a $30 Vector Rapidash using quality butane. Not very good in high winds though.
Rapidash02.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It only takes one dog in the team. That said, my new Chocolate puppy is a methane producing machine. Gotta be some way to harness that for heating the house. Some evenings, when he's curled up on my feet, under the desk, quietly emitting, I wish I had a mask.
I never have more than one problem with a lighter. If it's not dependable, it goes in a drawer or the trash. I honestly haven't found many of the more expensive lighters to be practicable for the out of doors. I have no access to IMCOs anymore. I found them to be reasonably dependable, cheap, and not that good in the wind. Never owned a "piezoelectric" which I thought was dependable. Butane lighters? Most had dependability problems and all were quirky with respect to filling.
So, after many, many lighters, some very expensive I've given up on appearance and opted strictly for lighters which give me a flame and are not impossible in the wind. So, Bics in the glove box, console, camera bags, and any other available storage. Zippo and the Pete, one or the other in a pocket. Further, the "bailout bag" has a supply of "strike anywhere" matches. Hmmmm. I may be anal when it comes to sources of fire. Interesting...

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Nothing else sounds like a Zippo........someone should sample it. Get a Zippo groove going, like the cash register in "Money".

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Snowy Owl - Lt. Hunter would reminisce, about the M60A1 deployments in Nam, and the enjoyment of diesel fuel in the morning, which I can relate to as a Marine Tanker of 14yrs with the M60A1 and the M1A1 in Iraq.
however, i don't think i want to be tasting zippo fuel through my tobacco.
Lt. Hunter would also proclaim "Judas Priest, Frank, these are your basic degenerate types, I can smoke them out"
and... that signature got me kicked off a different pipe smoker's forum - a sally of indigents they were, honorable pipesmokers within these fortified walls :)

Status
Not open for further replies.