PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Bic.
I own a few zippos and use one regularly for cigars and sometimes fill the one with the pipe insert and use that, but I most often use a bic. Easy and available.

Jan 8, 2013
HaJa knows
:rofl:
Zippo pipe lighter for me. Some complain about the smell and taste of the fluid, but if you let the flame burn for about 3 or 4 seconds it goes away.
I've heard good things about those Kiribi lighters, and plan on getting one of those soon too, but I understand they're not as reliable as a zippo in the wind.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Refillable butane for me. I have three, but use my Xicar Old Boy the most. One day I'll get the real McCoy, and maybe a Rollagas if I can find one cheap.
Zippos are fine, dependable, but require too much refueling. However, for those complaining they taste the fluid, just hold the tip of the flame further away. The air above the tip is just right for igniting the tobacco without overheating it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have a Corona Old Boy with the pipe shapes. Dropped it once, and now it leaks fuel. Use matches, Zippos, Bics, and use the high dollar lighter money to expand your cellar. Very bumpy road ahead I fear.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Of course Nimrods are fun just for the looks you get. :mrgreen:
img_20141203_105358-1.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've got one of those! Dependable as heck with a bit of a learning curve with regards to holding and applying the flame. Not bad in the wind either. Now I've got to locate it. Damn near every drawer in the house has a lighter or two in it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Atjurhs:
Killer avatar from a wonderful series.
I've been disappointed by most higher end lighters but will witness to non-refillable Linse throwaways. I also, appreciate most IMCO pipe lighters, Zippos with pipe inserts and their third party butane inserts.
Fnord

Jun 27, 2016
Todd it could be helpful to know which hand you use to light with. Some lighters are better for "lefties" and others for "righties".
Duane, where's your Old Boy leaking from? You might just have to re-solder a seam on the tank.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Not sure. I can fill it and it will be empty in less than an hour. Could put it in water to find bubbles, but after paying that much for a lighter, it annoyed me so bad that it just hangs out as a decoration in my tobacco closet.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
If you like the zippo I definitely recommend the butane version ... for instance where I live I cannot find the odorless zippo fluid, so the zippo classic pipe insert messes with flavor. Personally I use a classic EuroJet lighter, very inexpensive (less than 15 EUR), sturdy and it comes with an incorporated tamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.