Lighting Your Tobacco, Zippo -VS- Butane?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgjone

Lurker
May 14, 2011
Since I switched from butane to a Zippo, I have no more charred rims ever! That alone is reason enough for me to use the Zippo most of the time, not to mention a cooler flame (my subjective and non-scientific opinion!). However, for the initial lights, I do use a wooden match, then the Zippo.
The new Zippo fluid (in the black can) has hardly any aroma and doesn't affect the pipe if you let it burn for a second or two (as you would a wooden match). The bad part is that it does seem to evaporate faster and require more refills - a small price to pay to avoid the Ronson smells.... Refilling can be reduced by putting a small layer of vasoline or chapstick or similar product around the bottom of the silver refill chamber.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
What about them Blue Flame lighters?

AAAAAsohqbwAAAAAAAYJqA.jpg

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
What about them Blue Flame lighters?
No, they first off make you look like your smoking crack....and second of all burn too hot for most bowls and can cause damage to the pipe.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Well not all of them look like something from a chemistry lab. You do have a point about the extreme heat from the flame.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
i read an interesting article that said that lighting with matches is something to consider because it allows you a cooler start to your smoke and as a result more flavour. The article is a little unclear, but it does have some explanation of the physics behind this thought. Might be of interest to those involved with this thread. here is a link.
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic-blog-posts/the-thermodynamics-of-pipe-smoking.html

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Zippo fuel, even the black can, leaves a noticeable taste. Perhaps it's not as obvious to those smoking aromatics?
I like the mechanism of my Old Boy; I don't have to hold a button to keep it lit. But unfortunately it usually takes 3 or 4 flicks to light (and I've sent it back to Savinelli for service).
At home I use wooden kitchen matches. At my smoke shop, I use my frustrating Old Boy.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I use a Zippo with Zippo fluid, a Xicar lighter with Xicar fluid and matches. I prefer the matches as I feel the initial flavor is more rich then using either lighter.
On the subject of the lighter I prefer the Xicar as I can't taste any fluid when lighting. The only issue is that it blows out easy and the fluid seems to not last as long as my Zippo. I have a pipe insert in my Zippo and when the wind prevents me from using a match I use my Zippo. In the end I carry matches and my Zippo.
Xicar is primarily a cigar lighter brand but they do have a combo cigar/pipe lighter and a pencil pipe lighter. They claim to be the only fuel not to affect the taste of your smoke. In my experience I can still taste it but not as bad as Zippo and no where like off brand fuel.
On the subject of fuel lasting in a Zippo. I think it relates to how well your cap closes. If it doesn't have a good seal it will evaporate. Mine lasts over a month before I have to refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.