Lighting Your Tobacco, Zippo -VS- Butane?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Whats better for lighting your pipe tobacco, using a Zippo or a butane lighter?

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Opinions will vary,....I prefer my Zippo.
On the very rare occasion that I can smell the fluid, I don't mind. And it's very rare indeed.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Same here. I was just wondering if using either actually effected the tobacco taste or not.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
To me wondering if the lighter fluid is affecting the taste of your tobacco, unless it is noticeable and unpleasant, is like wondering if your boogers affect every smell. :puffpipe: But, my pipes usually taste great and I use a zippo, so, if it is affecting it then the effect is great!

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
dont like the mess of zipo fuel so it's my Old Boy butane lighter for me

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
If you can taste it maybe you have put too much fuel in your zippo. LOL

I prefer a zippo. I think I can get a much better even light around the inside of the bowl with a nice lil pipe zippo.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sent my Zippo in for the free pipe conversion. It took exactly one week. I just love the Zippo action, but they are fussy to keep filled:

My Boswell, craggy-top plateau doesn't work well with the Zippo (too deep), so it gets the match.
I use the Black can of Zippo fluid, never tried Ronson, but the black can is much better than the old. To be honest, I can tell no "taste" difference between the match/Zippo or a butane.
You can also get a butane insert for the Zippo for about $10. I haven't tried one yet, but the Vector was recommended. For $10, I'll put it in one of my Zippo cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KGM-Vector-Butane-Flip-Top-PIPE-Lighter-Insert-/370362013468

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
There is only one proper way (not saying the only way, but proper) to light a good pipe and that is a wooden match that you light let the sulphur burn off then put fire to the bowl. Now that said the more convenient way is a lighter, and since I have been using Zippos since the dawn of time, I use my Zippo unless I have time to use a match.

On Patiobum's question I have a caveat, is it me or does lighter fluid not last as long anymore? I remember using my Zippo for about a month between refills and now once a week its out, what gives? Or is it just me?

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
No yuri,....it's not just you. I was wondering the same thing.
I just started using my Zippo full time not too long ago, I used to wear them out lighting cigarettes back in the 70's,....you're right, it seems like I have to fill the danged thing three times as often as I did years ago,..and I was lighting 50-60 cigarettes a day.
Now,....I am using Zippo fluid now as opposed to the Ronson fluid I used back then.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
takes longer to lite a pipe than a ciggy...
the more they strive to make the fluid oderless the more volitile it seems to be. the old ronson does last longer in the lighter than the new zippo fluid.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I can only get the Ronson here and it does not last for crap I hate to say... I was going to try and find some Zippo fluid, but from what you said Tommy I guess it does not matter. Wonder if they are using Ethenol in the lighter fluid too, that could explain the low gas milage :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.