PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmafudd2

Lurker
Nov 16, 2015
Hi All,

Just had a bowl of Petersons Sherlock holmes (one of my hero's also Einstein!!) and found that the pipe lighter I was using wasn't doing to well. I might have a pipe every now and then when the mood takes me. My question is, can anyone suggest a good lighter or brand hopefully obtainable in the UK??

Cheers

Andy

westhampipe

Lurker
Nov 30, 2015
hi, If youre indoors; it's as windy as well in London at the minute so I'm presuming most of your smoking is indoors why not use matches ?I find that I get a better taste from the tobacco with matches anyway.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I use Bics and Tokais for the most part. Sometimes I use an inexpensive "pipe" lighter I got for about 10 bucks. Are you searching for something more expensive&good quality? If I had the money, I'd go for an antique one, maybe you'd be interested in that?

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Colibri makes good pipe lighters and they are not that expensive. I like the zippo pipe lighter as well, that may be the cheapest.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cheaper still are disposable Bics. My preference for everyday outdoor or in car relighting. Just keep the flame high enough above the rim and no problem with scorching much less charring.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I've seen some guys using those new "re-usable" fueled matches, if you don't mind the Zippo smell, that could be an option.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've used most everything. A Bic will do in a pinch but not enough flame to get down into the bowl later on in the smoke. Matches are fine unless the wind is blowing. Colibri is a nice looking lighter but stop working after a short while in the 3 or 4 I've owned. Xikar is about $30-40 and it's still working after 3 years though it is a little cranky at giving me a flame without 6-12 clicks. I have 3 IM Coronas and they work every time. Never had one problem with them. One of them is from the 70's and the other was new over a year ago. I don't know if any of them are available in the UK but if they are then you can consider what I've said if you want.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Djeep is my choice. But when cold, they're not so convenient.

bbc417

Lurker
Oct 2, 2015
Im using an IM corona Pipemaster and I feel its a pretty good lighter. it also has built in tamper which is nice while on the go… can't give you a long term review as I've only had it for around 2 months.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've been using an IM Corona pipemaster for around 18 months as a nice out and about lighter, it has a lovely weight. I was worried about piezo ignition as I've heard they're prone to breaking but apparently the Corona piezo mechanism is made by them and alot more robust than the cheap versions, and after 18 months mine still works every time first time. It works fell enough in the wind if you cup the pipe, if it's too windy for that then it's too windy to smoke.
At home I use a Tsubota Pearl, it's an old boy style lighter that has been made in Japan since the 50's but they still seem to fly under the radar and I have no idea why. They're a fantastic lighter with a lovely soft flame but just like an old boy they're not brillant in the wind.
Mysmokingshop or GQ tobacco's sell both. I regret buying neither but if I was buying just one I go for the Tsubota Pearl, presuming you don't need it out and about.

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I don't know what is available in the UK so I'll just go with what I prefer.

I've been a Zippo fan for over forty years...it works in all kinds of weather and the pipe insert is great.
I've used a bic disposable...meh...in the wind it is not easy.

I've not tried other brands so can't comment.
I don't get a fuel odor when using my Zippo.

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Personally, i prefer Zippo with pipe insert. Love the taste of gasoline in first puffs, also it's not so easy to scorch rim with it.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
if you can find a vintage nimrod lighter, they are very good, also if you don't feel like spending money and you have a zippo you don't need, drill a 5mm hole on the metal part where the wick is at, front and back, and clip the wick so it can be in the center of the hole you created and you will have a pipe lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.