PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemurphy260

Lurker
Jan 19, 2016
I'd like to get a lighter for the ease, or convenience, of lighting the pipe. Any recommendations?
Welcome to the Forum! Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Zippo with pipe insert for outside, Old Boy or similar for inside here.
Frankly, you can't beat a Zippo, cheep and it just plain works.

blackmouth

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
You can spend less than $20 for a zippo pipe lighter that will do all a pipe lighter is supposed and do it more reliably than most other pipe lighters. It'll also last as long as your best pipe (if you take care of both properly). So, the answer to your question is easy for me...get the ZIPPO

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My first trip into above average pipe lighters, was a Xikar (zy car) from P&C. They have a heft to them, and I have had no problems with it...but I switch around a lot on which lighter I use. Right now, P&C has them cheaper than even Amazon.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/lighters/39395/xikar-resource-lighter/
Edit: Sorry, I just saw they're out of stock at P&C. :oops:

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
There are several good options. I use a Zippo with the Zippo pipe insert or the Vector Thunderbird insert. I also have a Kiribi Kabuto and a Vector Rapidash. They all do a fine job and I have never had a problem with any of them. I like the Zippo outside but reach for my Kiribi the most.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There's but one option if you're serious about fire. This lighter creates better fire, a high grade fire not attainable from lessor lighters. Is it a tad more expensive? Of course, but it's justified.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Indoors, matches you get for free work fine; outdoors only a Zippo works worth a damn. So I've never seen the rationale for any other pipe lighter.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I have a Zippo Pipe lighter, a Colibri (I think it's a Connaught), and a Peterson (the ones that look like the IM Corona Old Boys). All good!

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Outside, a Zippo w/insert and you're good to go.
Everywhere else, I'd just as soon have a Bic.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a IM Corona Old Boy that is about 15 years old and it works like a champ. I also have a couple of the IM Corona Pipemasters. I ended up with 2 because I lost one, then found it. They have an electronic ignition and a longer tamper. Both have worked perfectly for a few years now. Save your money until you can buy the finest pipe lighters on the market.
Zippos are ok if you are smoking outside, but their flames are not as controllable as the IM Coronas.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You didn't mention a price point. There is a difference in prices of lighters I would suggest. Low to high.
Zippo with pipe chimney. These run the gambit in price because of the case design and rarity. A huge assortment can be seen on eBay, both from private sellers to large lighter shops.
$20.00. lotus Vertigo. I got 3 years out of one with good fuel.

$65.00 Lotus L11. A very nice mid price lighter. Very soft flame. Mine lasted over five years with Lotus fuel. A good choice. Nice feel.
$100-$150.00. Corona Old Boy. Love it. Stylish, functional. Best choice if the price is right.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.