PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
dupont%20day%20of%20the%20dead%20lighter_zpsgizs8ptr.jpg

May 31, 2012
I've got two of those, mlc. One that looks like a faceted crystal ball and one that is black, like a Magic 8 Ball. I also have a few of those Perma-Matches. But, once again, it runs out of fuel much faster than a Bic.
My experience as well,

it evaporates like really quick!
I have a Dorset version and it's fun to use,but constantly re-soaking it with fuel eventually becomes a drag...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anybody-here-ever-use-an-electromatch-to-light-their-pipe
...I still use it from time to time though, love the little wand, and I'm still sorta amazed by it,

it's got tons of novelty appeal.

:puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bic for lightness in a lighter, good up to 8-10 knots; Zippo for fieldwork, good up to 20 kts; Colibri for after-hours. Or Nate's slightly pricier option......

weedsnager

Can't Leave
Jun 30, 2015
Nw Indiana
Any zippo, then pull the insert and get a thunderbird butane pipe insert. I am one who cannot use a regular zippo pipe insert, I can taste the black can fuel all day long

Jul 12, 2011
I got a Prince Micro 88e as gift this past Christmas, really enjoying it. I also have an Old Boy, Zippo w/insert - All great choices
micro-88e-wdrd-a.jpg

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
+ 1 for Zippo pipe lighter , I also took a fake zippo (ebay , probably 2 bucks) and drilled the chimney out !
On order is a butane lighter (soft flame) with built in pipe tools ... ebay find , cheap so we shall see .
further to zippo : lifetime warranty , send on back they repair it and provide an extra insert, I believe you can ask for a pipe insert and they'll provide that , I have late fifties to "new" zippos and they just work , even with Coleman camp fuel !! (naptha)

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
I have used a Zippo since the 80's, and they are nice, But truth be tolled, I use a Bic most of the time. They are cheap enough to have several at a time, and have a clean taste. Don't over think this.

Status
Not open for further replies.