PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Zippo's w/ pipe inserts are great. My biggest issue with them is they need to be refueled fairly often due to evaporation. But if I'm heading into the apocalypse, I'm going zippo, no hesitation.
I have a Corona Laurel which is fantastic, just not for outdoors. Pricey but should last a really long time.
I also use a torch lighter for extreme outdoors. These things are better than zippos in the wind, but can destroy a pipe if your not careful. So be careful or use a pipe you don't mind risking. Some pipe guys even advocate torches but I don't know, they can be pretty brutal. Most people will say don't even think about a torch and pipes. But when you gotta walk the dog in a hurricane, what are you going to do?!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Oh, Dan doesn't sleep. He's probably in the basement sitting on a stack of "War Horse" to compress it. I think the company calls it "topping the tobacco." Of course where I come from "topping" has an entirely different connotation.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I recommend the pipe zippo. I was a match only guy for a little while before I was convinced to go zippo. I already owned a regular zippo which really won't work but the pipe version can be had on Amazon for something like $13 and it'll last you a lifetime. Good luck with your search!
Cheers,

Jared

May 31, 2012
I agree with the IM Corona recommendations if you're looking for a really nice "lifetime" lighter,

either the Old Boy or PipeMaster - both are excellent although the PM is more practical and has a bigger tank.
If you're just looking for a good cheap pipe lighter,

it's hard to beat these Made in Austria lighters made by Imco,

I have a friend with one and he loves it, I have one on the way too...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-NEW-Old-Stock-Imco-G77R-Blue-Pipe-Lighter-/141893873012?hash=item210988ad74:g:80sAAOSwuTxWAb1r
:review found on yootoob...
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmUOmiQxvus

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Geez, after reading about the Old Boy, I may have to order one and give it a try. Great thread!
Cheers,

Jared

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have had an Old Boy for years and love it. But, the Xikar Scribe is the perfect pipe lighter. $35 +/-, lifetime warranty.

-xikar-596sl-scribe-silver.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dropped a Corona Old Boy once, and it never worked again. Bics and matches here. I use my pull apart Nimrod at work sometimes to confuse onlookers. :mrgreen:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All this talk of balls and topping got me excited, so I ordered up a new lighter...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG1806aMg04

May 31, 2012
Dropped a Corona Old Boy once, and it never worked again.
I've been exceedingly hard on my matte black Old Boy,

dropped to pavement on several occasions,

and case scratched from careless pocket wear because

loose change was rubbing against it...
...in 3 years of ownership it has never failed me and has been absolutely bulletproof.
It's built like a tank...
nm2q6VE.jpg

I got so tired of hanging out with my cigar buddies, getting my pipe and pipe rest out, tin of plug tobacco, pocketknife, cutting board, slice, prep, :::snickers from the cigar nerds::: "that's a whole lot of furniture just to smoke, pipeguy, ha ha." I get my really nice lighter out, :::strike, strike, strike...::: ...and for some reason it needs fluid, or flint, or adjustment of some sort. "bah ha ha!!" comes the ribbing from the guys.
Nope, I leave all of the really nice lighters that I have collected on a shelf with my pipes, and I just carry a Bic and some matches. A Bic will last me a few months, and when it goes dead, I can replace it anywhere. Matches, for when I want to look cool lighting my pipe.
Everyone is different. Do what suits you and who you are.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mikestanley, you are extremely lucky with your Lotus lighters. I had that 65.00 one and I had to send it back at the retailers cost 4 freaking times and each time I got a new lighter that wouldn't work after couple of weeks. Finally I had the retailer give me a credit for my first IM Corona Pipemaster. Have not had to send the Pipemaster in for over a few years and it works like a champ.

May 31, 2012
Another stylish option would be a Sarome PSD12,

unique ergonomic design and truly a good looker.
http://www.sarome.com/products/lighter/pipe/psd12.html
K05eXQH.png

h3Kd04H.png

I have 3 of them (2 of which are Colibri branded made under contract for them, 1 is Sarome branded), but only one of them actually works, they are temperamental and the cheap plastic tank (as opposed to IM Corona's brass tank) is pretty much doomed to failure at some point, either by cracking or premature seal failure, so, although sleek, they ain't so stylish anymore when you got 'em all in a box looking like this:
9x1vxz3.jpg
See also:
ElectroMatches are great fun!
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DEPeK2OBzQ

Status
Not open for further replies.