PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Pardon my ignorance with the correct terms if I mess them up.
I call the zippo/bic style lighters the thumb manglers. The ones where you rotate the little wheel with the gouges that hurts my thumb ( yes I am a wuss).
Is there a "push down a nice comfortable button" type of lighter out there that is worth a damn or cheap enough that I can buy 10 and have spares if they break?

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I'd think most of the so-called "electronic lighters" would fit the bill...you can google it. Many of those tend to be 'torch' lighters though which you don't want, so just beware of that.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
IM Corona Pipemaster looks to be a good lighter and the reviews are excellent. I think it would qualify for the "worth a damn" department but not the latter.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks for the ideas. I didn't know about the Pipemaster. Does anyone have any input on reliability? Are they as well thought of as the Old Boy? If not maybe that vertigo x4 or 5 is the answer to my prayers.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I'm with Voorhees. I have a "puffer vertigo lighter" with the tools build in the side. Really like it. Uses a bit more fuel than I expected but that is a small caveat. Around $15.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
The Piezo Electric ignition type you're speaking of are, in general, less reliable than a flint based lighters IMHO. I have had decent results with a Lotus L11 lighter which is easy to light, has a nice soft flame and lasted me over 6 yrs. I see them on eBay for $40.00 shipped. I think that is an acceptable price-value in a pipe lighter.
Mike S.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would recommend the Pipe Master. My first lasted a good 15 years and needs sent in. I picked up a second one and its been working just fine for about a year I guess. Large fuel tank and built in tamp. The regular Old Boy uses a flint wheel so you might have an issue with that. If you wanted to spend the money, I would definitely recommend the Pipe Master.
Vertigo lighters are also good. I've had for five or so years. Built in tamp and works like a charm. I just prefer the Pipe Master due to its capacity.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I've tried several different lighters, I really love my xicar, but as you said it has the thumb mangler.

No matter how much I like certain lighters, I always go back to matches!
If you do find a cool, easy to use lighter with a push button, please do share it!

Status
Not open for further replies.