PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Late last week I ordered 3 pipes off the 'bay. There was no information about them and the pictures were terrible. But I had enough in my paypal account. The BIN price was 28.00 so I figured hell why not?

I buy the pipes that no one wants, and try to bring them back to life. As with my other restorations, there will be no museum pieces, but hopefully just a smokeable pipe.

Masochism? Maybe, but it gives me something to do, and keeps my brain going.
And In the spirit of Halloween, let's try to bring this pipe back to life.

I present you the LHS Sterncrest.

The sterling silver band:

For someone who beat the ever living crap out of his pipes, he sure had a gentle jaw. Or he never clenched his pipes, in between throwing it at the wall, leaving it outside, and using a torch lighter.

And here's the stinger, of which I've never seen the likes of before.

Here goes nothing!

Last edited:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
First, I soaked a couple cotton balls with 91% isopropyl alcohol and crammed them into the bowl, to soften the cake. I didn't want to attempt my reamer, for fear of adding to the stress of the crack.
Then I put the stem in a jar full of ISO and just let that soak as well.

While the bowl was soaking, I tried to clean up the outside with Murphys Oil Soap with a toothbrush. And after about 20 minutes of hard scrubbing, the grain started to show.

After getting a start on the outside, I pulled the cotton out, and lightly sanded the cake with 120 grit sandpaper, to see the damage better.

And I kind of have ADD, so I have been picking at all parts of the pipe intermittently. I then tried to get a pipe cleaner down the shank, but to no avail. Hmm...

Wheres the draft hole??

Oh there it is. A dental pick was the only thing I could get through the hole. And even that took a lot of effort.

So I soaked the bowl again, and went at the large crack with another dental pick, clearing out more cake and tar.

And this is how it sits for now.

And Im soaking the bowl for a third round, this time for overnight. And then ill keep working on the cake and try to clean up more of the outside.

Why do I punish myself with these pipes?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Then after some more scrubbing of the shank and stem, I reamed the bowl some more after the overnight soak.

It's slowly coming along.

Then I moved onto the patch work. Cramming briar dust into the crack, I dripped super glue on it. Then repeated on the inside of the bowl.

I wanted to address the crack, before I did anything else. I will be topping the bowl as well, and wanted the repair done first to strengthen it up.

Then onto the Chunk missing from the side.

I'll be lightly sanding the exterior of the bowl as well, to try to bring the color back. So I figured I'd be sanding the patches anyways, so why not fix it now.

And so I'll let that dry for a few hours.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And if anyone, like me, didn't believe @chasingembers method of pipe Ash and water
Can't claim that one, I'm a Jeweler's cloth advocate for silver.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Can't claim that one, I'm a Jeweler's cloth advocate for silver.

Oh...hmmm ok lol

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
More sanding....
And lightly topping the bowl.
I moved on to the staining.

I set the stain with a lighter, and then sanded it with micromesh pads, to lighten it. Working from 1500 grit to 4000 grit. And then hit it with the buffer using caranuba wax.

And decided the stummel was good enough for what the pipe will be used for. Probably yard work, fishing, maybe a only on Halloween pipe or something.

And then I moved onto the stem. Luckily I dont have any dents to deal with so it's just the oxidation. Easy right??

So I used tooth paste and rubbed it on with my finger untill it turned yellow. Then rubbed it off with a paper towel. 68146815
And after 6 runs with tooth paste....I still had to keep going. I scrubbed it so hard, my arms started to get tired. And yet, it still looks like this....
NOT EASY. Not even close. I scrubbed and scrubbed and nothing seemed to get it close to where I wanted it. Back and forth using toothpaste and micromesh pads, more tooth paste, back to the micromesh.

Then I took it inside and tried soap and hot water and a bristle pad, and well that did nothing at all. So I went pack to the tooth paste and used a toothbrush this time. I scrubbed and scrubbed about 4 more times with fresh paste and it's still a nasty yellow color. I'm making progress but not at all where I wanted it to be.

So tomorrow I'm going to soak it in hot water and oxyclean first. Then I'll use a magic eraser or continue with the micromesh pads.

Sheesh!!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would have started with a magic eraser, but since you're working with micromesh, I would have used the most course grit with little pressure under running water until the brown was gone and slowly work my way up in grit. If using Oxyclean, coat the tenon with vaseline and plug the airway with it to prevent pitting and oxidation those areas.

Reactions: diamondback

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I'll second to Oxiclean. Or any sodium percarbonate generic. Makes wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.