PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Here is my flock of Falcons:
I have an Early Production just marked FALCON, no other marks - a Mid-1960's FD8 - an early 1970's AN1 - the slightly bent is an OXFORD FD B7 Bantam from 1963 and the 1968 Shillelagh with the original orange bowl.

The Shillelagh and the slightly bent pipes were purchased for my wife. I'm thinking about selling the Early Production Falcon and getting a new one. PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: tom12

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I`ve been looking at falcons and reading reviews on them. I think I might have to try one out even if just for a hunting pipe.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Here is the info I've gathered:
Falcons started in the USA with a simple mark of Falcon 1 or 2 or 3, etc. They were exported to England 1955-1957 under the names of ALCO and Rollit (marked PP). There have been several manufacturers.
ALCO was manufactured in England starting in 1964 with a different bowl size.
F2 thru F8 were made by Fry Diecast

P4 is Presbar Die 4
The "Made in England" marking started in the early 60's. FD plus a number is Fry Diecast - the number range is FD1 - FD19. The Bantams were marked as FD B5 or FD B7 OXFORD can be marked on the Humidome, but not always.
The Shillelagh started production inb May 1966 with FD8 marking. They came in solid black with a black stem, or a bright with a white stem, or a bright with a light blue center with a white stem. You could buy a colored bowl or a traditional briar.
Federal Die Casting is marked FDF/FDG/FDH.
Andoic is marked AN plus a die number

AN2 - 1974

AN3 - 1982
Irish Falcons are confusing - mostly marked Falcon Ireland but could be marked Falcon Great Britian which had Irish stems and an English made frame.
From 1975 to 1981 there was a Falcon Head imprinted on the stem.
Hope this helps, if any of the info isn't correct, please let me know.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Falcon with Hunter Bowl

20130922_163353.jpg

Bantam with Bantam size bowl

20130824_192306.jpg

Falcon

20130811_193230.jpg

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I love my falcon. Want to get extra bowl or two soon. Wish someone made bigger bowls for it. I like a long smoke. I think falcons smoke better than kirstens, just me .02 worth. Both great. Very impressed with the smoking qualities of the falcon.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
4noggins and Pipes&Cigars carry Falcons - but I don't think P&C ship to Canada. You might look into a UK dealer also.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I really enjoy my Falcons. I've got a small set, with a half dozen bowls. I just like their engineering, and styling. Plus they make a great change of pace from my regular briars. The simplicity of the design and the ease of cleaning are its major attractions for me.
IMAG1105-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

Reactions: UncleRasta

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013

I only have the one Falcon but I'm excited to add some Meer bowls to it soon and I'll probably add a Shillelagh too is I can find one.
I know the number is related to when the mold was first used so I assume my #1 U.S. Falcon is probably pretty old but is there any information on when molds stopped in use so I know this could be from the 1930s but what age range could it be ?

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A couple of days ago I added this one to my flock. I probably will never smoke it, since it's unused, but you never know. Got it from Kathy Worth - really nice lady to do business with.