Let's Discuss Birth Year Pipes. Photos Appreciated.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The birth year pipe thing couldn't have been more perfect to sell estate Dunhills than if it was made up whole cloth by used pipe dealers. :D

That said, I still look on occasion.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
For the younger among us, Castello is also an option for a pipe with a date code stamp. If I remember correctly they started stamping the date code in the mid-1980s.

Reactions: tnfan and Casual

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard it argued that a year stamp would affect the value of pipes not sold during that year, make them look like old inventory. To the contrary, in a field where age is generally looked as an attribute, I think that prejudice could quickly be educated out of the consumer base. An older pipe, unsmoked, in prime shape, can only be said to have more aged briar and therefore be more valuable, or at the very least as valuable. I'd love to have a birth year Savinelli, Genod, BC, etc. But I'd be dubious without a stamp to prove it. I'd figure someone was just pulling my chain. And since they've never been stamped, I'd know a year stamp or a code was a clever addition. Hey, I happen to have a stamped birth year pipe; just let me go in the back for a minute. No Dunhill, no birth year, no thanks. I am glad to know Castello has gotten aboard for younger people.

Status
Not open for further replies.