PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Just picked up a Von Erck estate, it's a lovely looking pipe! From the nomenclature I believe it was the 56th pipe he carved in 2001, and looks like it may be a limited edition from the 7/10 stamp. Pretty excited to get it in my hands!
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Lee's one of my favorite people to run into when I'm in Chicago...This was definitely an early one...Looks like he used a screw tenon of some type to join the shank extension to the shank- hard to tell from the picture...

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
It does look like a screw-on tenon. Glad to hear he's a cool dude. I sent Lee an email to ask more about the pipe, I wonder if I'll hear back.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Lee's pipes are my favorite artisan pipes. I've never had less than a fabulous smoke from any of mine. I suspect it's his knowledge and sourcing of wood, enhanced by his proprietary oil curing process and spot on drilling. Congratulations on your new acquisition!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have your plans on what blends will shine in this pipe, but that tall deep bowl just cries out to me, "Tabac-Manil Semois!" That dry burley variant just shines in a tall narrow bowl, for those who have a taste for burley.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
Cheers Sable, very much looking forward to trying it out. Maybe I'll get to meet Lee in Chicago one of these years.
Mso, I havne't had Semois in a couple of years but it might be time to get some! It does sound like it would be great in this bowl.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Lee's earlier work is humble but you can see the look that his spectacular pieces show these days. I got four of his fairly rustic pipes that I bought from him in the late 90's and early 2000's. One is a early Loon and one is when I had the first pick of the MAPS POY when he was starting to perfect his blasting technique. That early Loon has the same amber stem as your pipe and I've wanted him to inlay his abalone trademark in the stem since I bought it. 8O

billp

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
Lee is a great pipemaker, I think I have more than 5 of his from way back

was always great to see him in Chicago
but then that was 10 or more years ago when I usually done a couple of shows a year

will have to dig through my pipes and get all of them together so I can show you some pics

of some of his earlier works
bill in red deer

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
That is a gorgeous blast! I heard back from Lee, he said my pipe is one of a limited run of 10 he did for himself back in 2001. Looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.