PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well I finally gave in and purchased the Lee Van Cleef meerschaum from Altinok (the devil made me do it). It was supposed to take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive, but much to my surprise it showed up just short of 2. Great little pipe and I love it although it is an extremely small pipe. The chamber depth is only about 1 ¼” and the chamber diameter about ¾”. Makes for a short smoke (30 to 40 minutes) which I really find to come in handy at times; like when I wish to have a short smoke before I hit the sack. Due to its size, and it being meerschaum, which is obviously a very light material (total weight: about 1.3 oz – 37gr), it’s a real comfort to clench which I do at times.
I took the pictures on the day I received it and obviously before I smoked it. Since then I’ve smoked it about six or seven times. Great smoke, cool and dry, but due to its small bowl size it must be smoked very slowly as the bowl heats up very quickly. Not a problem as each pipe has its own characteristics and once you know them it’s not an issue. Every time I light it up I have this urge to strap on my .45 Colt S.A.A. (a prized possession of mine), sit on the porch and smoke away. However, seeing that I live in Chicago I fear that would not go over too well with my neighbors. Well, that and aside from the fact that I’d freeze my freaking ass off! ;)
IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo forever instilled in me a respect for the small pipe. It fits perfectly in the rotation. You can't

burn a bowl of tobacco by filling a large pipe partly full and get the same taste. For shorter smokes,

a short smoke of strong tobacco, or an appetizer or dessert bowl, this is what you need.
Lee was a master actor, one of the greatest movie villains of all time. Eastwood liked him so well, he had

to make him a good-guy partner in a film or two, but nothing compares to his villain roles. And no one

could eat a meal with more angry vitriol than Van Clef. Really an all-time great.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Is it this one? http://www.leevancleefpipe.com/order-lee-van-cleef-pipe.html
I'm also curious about the other pipes he smokes, like in Good the Bad and the Ugly it looks like a peterson system but I saw others who said it wasn't...(WDC Wellington military)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ pylorns
Not at all sure who makes that pipe. It's states that it is made in Turkey, then again most meerschaums are so that really doesn't mean all that much. Altinok meerschaums (where I purchased mine from) are well known to be makers/producers of high quality meerschaums and I would never order from some place that simply relies on selling a 'Lee Van Cleef' pipe. I certainly can't say that it's a poor quality pipe as I obviously have no idea, but I personally would never order a pipe at that price from an totally unknown site with no reputation as to the quality of their pipes. But, that's just my opinion.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Looks gorgeous! I'm waiting on a meerschaum from altinok as well, but it's already been 7 weeks and it hasn't arrived.... :/

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
From what I hear Altinok produces some fantastic pipes! I had my eye on that one too since Van Cleef was the reason I got interested in pipes. Hope it smokes well for you! :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great lookin’ LVC meer...congrats, enjoy.
Good for an after dinner smoke.
“Well, well...if it isn’t the smoker.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz9KBP6u8e8

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I bought a LVC from a source over a year ago. I will say that the site mentioned above "screams" the same source as I got mine from. Please avoid at all costs. My pipe is wonderful, the service was horrible.
Brand New.

This is a picture taken about six months ago.

I need to take a new one, as it is really starting to color after a year.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just gotta love the way that is coloring up! Yes, I would really like to see the latest picture of it. As for the site mentioned and the pipe it could, for all I know, come from the same source. However, as you pointed out 'service' can mean a LOT! Altinok, for my experience so far with the purchase of two pipes has been great and Sinan Altinok responds very quickly with any questions and or help you might possibly have.

yabo71

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
Got mine from www.leevancleefpipe.com

Cem sent me an email next day.He / She sent me photos of pipes they got in stock.

I chose the largest one.

The service was great ( arrived in 3 days by fedex ) the pipe is greater.

It is said on the website that "Ramazan" carves the pipe.
Mine is coloring very smilar to yours foorhees.

yabo71

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
I would also check spc frequently as they put 3-4 pre colored AKB meerschaum pipes every month or so.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=133238
002-574-0108_1.jpg

002-574-0108_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.