PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Tonight finds me in Lebanon, IN. After a trying day of last minute covering for someone who called in hungover/sick/dead/whatever and scrambling down to Indiana to pick up a load going to Florida I was finally able to stop here, get a much needed bite to eat, and relax for a bit.
I stopped here to visit Johnny's next to the Flying J truck stop. I have been visiting this place for years. It has changed hands and names a couple of times, and has even been remodeled, but it is still a trucker bar.
When I walked in, wearing khakis, a nice shirt, bow tie, and Homburg hat, I was immediately greeted by the bartender and had a beer placed in front of my favorite seat at the bar. It's nice to be so far from home and be known.
One guy wearing a cheap straw cowboy hat, not even a trucker, started trying to screw with me about my Homburg, but the bartender, sweetheart that she is, immediately lit into him and let him know that she liked me a lot more than she liked him (I am a regular there) and if he wanted to start trouble she would make sure he was the one riding in the back of a police car after he lost the fight.
I couldn't help but chuckle. He just shut up and drank his drink. I didn't hear any more from him.
I am back in my truck now, getting ready to climb in the bunk. I had a good time in the bar, talking with a couple of fellow drivers, drinking a few beers, and smoking a few bowls. I even had one young lady give me a kiss smack on the lips after telling me how much she liked the smell of my tobacco.
Once the karaoke crap started I decided to call it a night.
I can't stand it despite the fact that I sing like a bird.
Ever hear a buzzard?
I am convinced that "karaoke" literally translates from Japanese to English as "Revenge for Hiroshima".
Anyway, my bowl of Frog Morton On The Town is about finished now so I am going to give my pillow some head.
Oh, by the way, I think I have some sort of chest cold as I have had a nasty cough for the past couple of days, complete with all the nasty stuff such a cough brings up. Hopefully that will pass soon.
Oh, I should mention, just for your amusement, that my CB handle is Frog Morton. Confuses the heck out of most drivers but once in a while someone actually gets it.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Here is to finding a bit of joy friend (raising a glass), not always easy to do in this world, sleep well bro.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
don't know if it is true but i heard once that karaoke literally translated to "tone deaf."

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
don't know if it is true but i heard once that karaoke literally translated to "tone deaf."
Don't know if you were joking or not, but if you were I missed the joke! :P hahaha.... It actually translates to something along the lines of "Empty Orchestra", which is not as much fun :)

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
Awesome story. I hope you get as many z's as you need to feel fresh and ready to go when you wake. Have a good one sir.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like a decent evening.
It's nice to have a place where they appreciate The Good people, knows how to deal with The Bad ones.

And, I bet you're glad it wasn't one of The Ugly ones that liked your tobacco. :D

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Mason… I really enjoy your posts. My Stepfather was an independent trucker. I spent a good part of my summers during my early teens traveling with him. Many of the story’s you share bring back some great memories. He ran a Conventional Kenworth and hauled mainly frozen food and produce in the western U.S. and Canada.
Now he didn’t wear khakis and a Homburg hat, but my Mom did starch and press military creases into his Levis. The starch was so they still looked neat and crisp even after a couple days in the truck.
Travel safe :puffy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I enjoy Mason's posts a lot myself. I spent a long time working in truck stops. First in Wisconsin and later running the restaurant in a small stop in Ohio. Got to be good friends with a lot of drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.