PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
The review comments say it is just folded leather and that it does hold a heavy pipe.

I don't understand why it would not be strong enough?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nothing inside, Cap'n? Just folded leather? From the photo it looks like the base is rougher, maybe suede or same leather but with the rough side down? Is the leather thin or thick?
I've a deer hide here, wondering if I can make said pipe stand.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Sorringowl used to sell a simple loop leather pipe stand. I believe that loop was open enough for the bowl of the pipe to sit in and rest on a surface. The sides were high enough to keep the pipe upright. There is some discussion of the pipe loop in the following link. Just something to think about for your stand design.

https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-review-the-sorringowlandsons-signature-deluxe-leather-roll-up-pouch.540436/

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yup, I've seen those loopy stands before. Tobaccopipes sells some too: loopy pipe stand, though I think $25 is too much for such an item.
Looks like Sorringowl also made a leather toby pouch. I've always been curious: do such pouches impart a leather scent/flavour to the tobacco stored in them? Should you line them with something to prevent that?

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've got a Sorringowl pipe roll which came with a leather stand and leather tobacco pouch.
I've not used the stand - I smoke in the park and usually sit on a typical park bench which works well enough as its own stand. However, the leather is pretty thick and the stand is basically a strip of leather about 3mm thick, which has a hole at one end and sturdy brass popper stud at the other end. You simple press the stud through the hold and have a loop of leather to rest the pipe on. It certainly seems study enough to work and if I was smoking indoors or at a table outside then I would certainly use if.
The pouch came lined with some sort of plastic film on the inside and the tobacco doesn't come into direct contact with the leather. I've not detected any contamination of the tobacco from the leather. I typically use this pouch for English Blends and have used it continuously since I got it about 5 months ago.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've had one for years near identical to that (or appears to be). It has some kind of cardboard or thin wood insert in the base to help it hold its shape. I really like it as it adapts to almost any shape and size. Now that I see your link, I may buy another one.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have a few of these pillows. I love them for resting pipes to dry after smoking. The internal structure is cardboard molding. They hold up very well.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I seem to recall one of our more handy members making a pipe stand by looping a section of a leather belt and fastening with a brass rivet. Pretty simple and very practical. Great way to re-purpose an old belt that might be hanging in the closet or found at your local Goodwill/Salvation Army store.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I made a handful of these rests from old belts and pocket book handle. Screw in rivets from Lowes are about $2 for a multi-pack. They work great and are excellent for every pipe bag, they just fold slim.

Reactions: hobie1dog

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have one of those. I don’t use it much. I wasn’t impressed with the quality vs price. There’s some sort of rigid material internally, not sure if it’s plastic or even cardboard. Not much cushion to it either. Depending on the size of the pipe, it doesn’t offer a lot of stability.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Oh, so there IS something inside. Good. Now I know I need to use bag stiffener for the base. The rest seems to be 8 pieces of leather stitched together and then to the base, which must have a non-skid finish.
Beats using a broken off cup holder on the passenger's seat for a pipe rest.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
For what it’s worth, these are the three leather stands that I have.
3d960617-7fb9-48ba-b951-8e72ad9e4ee8-600x277.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.