PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
This is just a shop pipe. Has several flaws. I did this as a learning pipe and with a lot of comments and tips from the Pipe Makers Forum this is the result. It's not as perfectly round as I would like it. I'm going to break it in with some Balkan Sobranie. Lots of lessons learned on this one. Hopefully the next iteration will be better.
4S8ISiY.jpg

bJ4JLiJ.jpg

vG8eHMx.jpg

SCHuwwX.jpg

XRCVjTN.jpg

3HtAWZL.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The shank narrows a bit toward the bowl, but Brebbia went through a whole "thing" marketing similar slightly off proportions. It's a handsome pipe with a lot of dignity, and if it's a good smoker, I think it could be a favorite. I like the finish. I'm not a perfectionist on that score, and generally this looks fine. As a pipe carver, you may have various criticisms, but I think most would like this one. I have a slightly different sense of the Lovat shape, but I'll look that one up. I have what Johs calls a lovat, and it isn't long-shanked, just has the saddle stem, and has the billiard bowl, straight of course.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks

Alan, it took about 3 12 hour days more or less not counting the time I was watching and reading responses from folks on the PMF.

MSO, yeah, I'm hoping on the next one to show some improvements from lessons learned.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Chris, the final results are really nice!

Hand turned ebonite stem!

Beautiful finish!

Heck of a shank on that pipe! Nice and long. You tuned the shape nicely too.

I'm sure that would sell for ya, and it should bring enough to more than replace materials.

At this point, you are probably not charging for your labor, or getting paid for it via auctions.

Time for a minimum price point so that you can continue!

By George, I think you're gettin the hang of this pipe making thing!

I await your reception of a really special piece of briar to see it bring out even more of your talent and showcase it

the way it should be, with a spectacular grain and no pits.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hey Mike, all I can say is some days it's one step forward and two steps backwards.

But it's all part of the process.

A little bit of 'pipe making' gallows humor.

Like Halley's comet; 'good' briar only shows up once every 75 years or so.

Like my granddaughter says when I ask her how she did on her math test and her response is, 'major fail' my website is a chronological representation of my 'major fail' projects.

As SWMBO points out when I show her briar flaws, if I charged for labor, I would be making 0.03 cents an hour.

Anyway thanks all for the comments. Onward and sideways! Ooh Raah! :nana:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Looks pretty good but I get it. I made my 1st Canadian and its just not perfect. So as you said "shop pipe". I will not put my name on something that is not quite right nor put it up for sale. Smokes good though lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.