PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I bought some Tabac Manil Le Petit Robin the other day. It was very dry when I unwrapped it and very crumbly (almost dusty).
I feel it might be drier than intended considering that the relative humidity in my area is about 20% lower than the humidity in the Semois Valley in Belgium.
I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with this. Do you hydrate it before smoking or just smoke it as dry as it comes?
Thanks in advance!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Smoke it dry in a small group 1-2 sized bowl. Pack tightly.
Here is a post I did on this tobacco (IG) https://www.instagram.com/p/BxmwdE4nzkw/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, smoke it as it is packaged. It is dry, but you get more per package that way, it keeps, and it smokes well. You don't want to smoke tobacco dust, but moisture in tobacco is usually overrated and often makes for a gurgly pipe. I'm a big Semois fan, but prefer the pure variant in medium and thick cut, to Petite-Robin which is shag cut blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve rehydrated some before and it took to hydration extremely well. I was told that this molds extremely easy and that is why they keep this one so dry. I don’t know how much truth there is to that but I thought it made since at the time. Tastes just about the same either way.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thanks for the response guys. I’ll smoke it as dry as it comes then. I wouldn’t want any mold forming just because I hydrated it.
Thanks for the tip on the small pipe, npod. I have a Stanwell bent acorn featherweight that I haven’t used much that will be perfect for Le Petit Robin.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I smoke my Semois blends as they come. But have wondered if it would be better hydrated.
I was given some PS Bullseye that is just short of crumbling dry. Does it have to be rehydrated or do folks smoke it this dry as has been suggested?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
aquadoc, I would try to smoke it dry to see how ya like it. The best advice I ever got from this forum was to dry the tobacco before you smoke it. Not only does it provide a cooler, dryer smoke but it concentrates the flavors. I was amazed by how much more flavor I got once I started drying my blends. There are a few I smoke just as they come but I can count those blends on one hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want a longer smoke with thick or medium cut Semois, also try a deep chamber medium or narrow bowl. That slows it down a little and prolongs the smoke, for me.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I just smoked my first bowl of Le Petit Robin. It is crazy how tight you have to pack it.
It burns really well and even with a reasonably large pipe it is only a quick smoke.
Amazing smoke with great flavours.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I tried to like Le Petit Robin but it didn’t have enough of the Semois goodness for me, I much prefer Semois straight up.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I rehydrated about 50 grams of La Brumeuse Semois, as I do will all dry tobaccos (such as Five Brothers, D&R Picayune) to test smoke.

I understand one reason why Semois is shipped dry - after hydration it indeed smells like a barnyard. It burns slower, tastes more earthy, though less floral than dry Semois; the room-note is reminiscent of the barnyard. I like it both ways, perhaps a little better when dry.
Five Brothers, & D&R Picayune, for me, are much better rehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.