PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All Right, I knew this all along that this my estate Dunhill Shell 197 which I just recently have bought from a reputable Italian vendor does have something wrong, and so it was ,the seller mentioned that the stem was not original but replacement,hence the fairly cheap price $ 160, so when it showed up at my door in only two days from the date of purchase I was already prepared to see something unusual but not this like twisted stem,if you ask me they shouldn't put this pipe for the sale ever ,needless to say we're working things out with the vendor,I suggested to keep the pipe and send it to repairshop if they would issue me with partial refund which should have covered my repair expenses but it wasn't to be,the trusted'seller did prefer that I'm to send the pipe back to them and so I did,sometimes pipes come and go in just one day time frame,nothing new to me ,been doing this dance more than once,there has been twisted, oxidized stems ,badly drilled pipes and all this with brand new pipes,it is regrettable that some vendors seem to have so poor eyesight that they don't even notice obvious manufacturing flaws57435744

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
All Right, I knew this all along that this my estate Dunhill Shell 197 which I just recently have bought from a reputable Italian vendor does have something wrong, and so it was ,the seller mentioned that the stem was not original but replacement,hence the fairly cheap price $ 160, so when it showed up at my door in only two days from the date of purchase I was already prepared to see something unusual but not this like twisted stem,if you ask me they shouldn't put this pipe for the sale never, ,needless to say we're working things out with the vendor,I suggested to keep the pipe and send it to repairshop if they would issue me with partial refund which should have covered my repair expenses but it wasn't to be,the trusted'seller did prefer that I'm to send the pipe back to them and so I did,sometimes pipes comes and goes in just one day time frame,noting new to me ,been doing this dance more than once before,there have been twisted, oxidized stems badly drilled pipes and all this with brand new pipes,it is regrettable that some vendors seem to have so poor eyesight that they don't even notice obvious manufacturing flawsView attachment 5743View attachment 5744
Wow......

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not being a Dunhill/White Spot guy, if I had bought this pipe, I'd probably just have a stem tailored by a pro and smoke away. It was a pretty good price for the brand, and for another thirty or forty, you can enjoy smoking it. I would not meet the approval of "real" Dunhill smokers, but so what?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Not being a Dunhill/White Spot guy, if I had bought this pipe, I'd probably just have a stem tailored by a pro and smoke away. It was a pretty good price for the brand, and for another thirty or forty, you can enjoy smoking it. I would not meet the approval of "real" Dunhill smokers, but so what?
I was more than ready for that outcome but unfortunately my suggestion on partial refund has been denied by the store owner

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I think you did good on sending this one right back. In addition to the twisted stem, it looks like a bad fit of the stem where it meets the briar. Also it seems like a good ammount of briar has been buffed away to make this bad fit look less bad.

For sure you‘ll find a better one with little patience.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I bought a new savinelli churchwarden with a minor twist in the stem. It bothered me when I first noticed, but it doesn't anymore.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
if I'm selling a pipe,and should I notice there issues like bad stem/mortise junction,charred chamber ,rim darkening,toothmarks on bite or other plenty obious and perceptibe flaws I'd definitely point them out,not counting on that new owner might not notice them ,,

Status
Not open for further replies.