PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I just posting in a thread about the import of names. This has been on my mind for a couple weeks, but I am on an old laptop and typing is rough.

How many of you buy a tobac because of the name and artwork hoping to cop its mood? I bought Dunhill Aperitif because of name and the Deco Artwork on the tin? Most of my purchases have names that bring a mood to me. I am looking for the perfect Christmas Tobacco, but may have to mix my own.

Cosmania

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I think the name is what initially grabs my attention and then I go right to the description and leaf content. The tin art work is often just the icing on the cake for me personally. The Frog Morton blends come to mind though as I purchased those in part for the tin art. Seattle Pipe Club also has some nice art work too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Blend proportions draw me in. Anything more than condimental use of Latakia is a no go for me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I still don't know enough about the various flavors and blends to make a fully informed decision.
Sometimes, an interesting name or presentation is all I have to go on. My acquisitions are about 80% researched and 20% spontaneous purchases.
I do read a lot of reviews and I've ruled nothing out in my quest for tastiness.
I appreciate the art separately from the product. It's hit or miss whether the image accurately reflects the contents.
On the other hand, I'd try a rusty tin called Filthy Scrotum if enough people I respected gave it a good review.
I may draw a lemon occasionally, but it's better than missing out on a few good discoveries.
Jay :nana:

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'm with Warren on this one. After buying into the hype of more than one blend I've found that I'm much better off reading what Jim has to say.
Ok, ok, not always. I recently picked up a tin of the highly touted Haunted Bookshop. Gotta tell ya, I just don't see what all the fuss is about.
Penzance, Margate or Dorchester, well now, that's a different story.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I bought tobacco that way when I first started smoking a pipe, back in college over 45 years ago. No longer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you go by Jim, you're bound to be disappointed.

Just try and obtain what he calls: "the best durn tobacco" (Strang)

Status
Not open for further replies.