PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
During this last year I've developed a taste for blends with latakia, having gone through a 13 year period when I smoked it hardly at all. In fact, coming to savor it as I now do, it is surely my major tobacco discovery of the year. Billy Budd was a dud but Nightcap, Quiet Nights, Crown Achievement and the new MB Latakia Flake, each as I smoke them, have made me feel that latakia doesn't get any better; and I go on to the next and become convinced that no, the prior blend was good but my new love is in fact more lovely still.
What happened? First I began to doubt that my determination at that start of pipe smoking that although latakia was good, other tobaccos were better. Then I had the crucial element, openness; and continuing to be so, smoked; then loved what I was smoking.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Latakia never fails to satisfy me. In fact, I find that all the aromatics and VaPers I have are just gathering dust now and I've only been smoking for about 6 months. I do like Melange in the morning with coffee but any other time of day I reach for a Lat blend.
I have considered selling or trading all others as they just don't do it for me. I have an unopened tin of Molto Dolce (I gave away another tin of it after smoking only 5-6 bowls... it is just way too sweet for my taste.) Others that just don't do it for me and are just gathering dust include Escudo (1 1/2 tins) and Lord Methleys (about 8 oz of bulk).
I have several VA's VaPer's that I haven't tried yet but come highly recommended including Elizabethan Mixture and Klondike Gold. Still have several Lat blends I haven't opened yet, also, but plan to after finishing up some that are already open.
I guess maybe I should hang onto everything in case my tastes change.... what do you think?

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I would say that over 50% of my cellar is Latakia blends. I can't get enough of it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@Tim, hold on to those tins, if you don't end up smoking them down the road someone will buy a 10 year old tin of Escudo off you for more than what you paid for it. That or send it my way, I'm on a VaPer tear right now.
I've dabbled in the english arena and it just hasn't blown me away. I have a close to year old tin of Nightcap I may have to revisit soon. I enjoy latakia, but I just haven't been really impressed by it.
Then again it took me a year smoking pipes to move from aros into Va/VaPers. Tastes do indeed change.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I smoked probably 80% latakia from 2005-2013, but this year I've discovered the joys of straight VAs, so my latakia intake is going to be about half of what it normally is. Tastes do change. That said, I'm happy that I've got some good latakia mixes in the cellar for when I come back around on them, probably when the weather cools.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
After thinking about is some more, I agree with you guys that I should hang onto the VA's and Perique blends as I may want to revisit them in the future. As for the Lord Methley's, I can't imagine ever smoking much of it so might try to sell or trade it at some time in the future. I like it, I just don't like it enough to have in my rotation and I purchased too much because it was a good price and I didn't really know what I liked or how much I'd be smoking when I ordered it.

Jan 8, 2013
I am slowly creeping on board the latakia train. I tried Tinderbox's Sherlocks Choice a few years back, and hated it. That was early on for me though. About 6 months ago I gave Nightcap a shot and found it wonderful. Thanks to Tim (rsuninv) I got to try out Westminster, Squadron Leader and a number of others. I enjoyed them all, but my wife on the other hand... well... anyhow, I while back I grabbed some Crown Achievement, which, while good, wasn't a crown achievement in my book. Saturday I sampled Gaslight, and it was a game changer. Generally I smoke VA blends, ODF, LNF, etc, but damn.
Definitely keep the tins, they don't take up much room. Throw that sealed Escudo in a closet and forget about it. When you find it a few years from now, it should be amazing.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
In a conversation with another member today I hit on how tastes do change and evolve. Now with Latakia I have always been a fan and for the longest time anything I smoked had better have had a large measure of it included. I won't say I'm burnt out on it but having re-discovered Virginias and VaPers, the lat blends are getting a well deserved rest. Cooler weather will signal my return to them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cooler weather will signal my return to them.
Same here ... I'm really enjoying VaPers right now but I have a tin of Gaslight that

is being put off until fall.
However, the continuous stream of praise and threads regarding this blend is not helping ... Jason ... :mrgreen:

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
+1 for GLP Odyssey. If you really want a strong Latakia flavor, C&D's Pirate Kake and Da Vinci both have 75% Latakia, and their Super Balkan is not far behind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want Lat every smoke, or every other smoke, nor in every English blend for that matter. However,

it is an elegant leaf and I enjoy it heartily, especially as a strong but not forward undertone, the way I

experience it in Nat Sherman 536 or Dunhill MM 965. When I want a high dose, Nightcap is the ticket,

and when I want it playing quietly in the background, Altadis Fox and Hound. I'm looking forward to

unopened tins of Frog and GLP Westminister. Also suprisingly good as a balanced blend is Sutliff's

Westminster, surprising because of the modest price and little buzz. But a good bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.