PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Is it normal for an opened tin of latakia to go flat after a month? I wanted to try an english blend so I opened up some Quiet Nights 4 or 5 weeks ago. The first few bowls had a pleasantly strong flavor but I jarred it up and left it alone for about a month and now the taste has gone away for me almost completely. I have to retrohale to get anything out of it and even then its not much.

Last edited:

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Did the jar not seal? I have some ten year old Pirate Kake that will still punch you in the face.
Im new to pipe smoking but is there anything special I need to do to get the jar to seal? Its a regular mason type jar with a ring, I screwed it on pretty tight I think.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Im new to pipe smoking but is there anything special I need to do to get the jar to seal? Its a regular mason type jar with a ring, I screwed it on pretty tight I think.
Sounds like you're doing it right.

1 Does the tobacco smell like you remember?

2 Eat anything spicy before smoking?

3 Being affected by seasonal allergies?

Reactions: aquadoc

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I actually had this happen to a tin of McClelland’s Frog Morton on the Bayou. The shit was awesome, then like a month or two later, ptthhhh. Nothing. CardBoard. I was pissed. ??‍♂️

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I did eat some spicy food an hour before smoking. The tin note seems only slightly subdued but I can still smell the latakia.

I smoke outside and its extremely humid tonight, maybe that makes a difference?
The only other variable now that I think about it is I switched pipes. The original pipe I smoked it in was very new and didn't have much of a cake. Maybe thats why it was stronger. I switched pipes because I decided to dedicate a different pipe for english blends. It happens to be an olive wood pipe if that makes any difference.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve had some weird things happen in the world of pipe smoking. For about a year all the Esoterica Lat blends tasted like diesel fuel, it was disgusting. Gave it some time and that went away eventually. Also had a period of time where all my tobacco tasted like ammonia no matter what I did and no matter what I smoked... it was very odd. Sometimes these things happen and we just can’t explain why or how. Every now and then I just can’t taste anything even when I can breathe through my nose just fine, just weird anomalies I tells ya.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a similar experience with a famous English blend by a primo blender. First I aged the tin for several years, then opened it expectantly and enjoyed four or five wonderful bowls, and then the Lat faded and was soon entirely gone. It was just the one tin (all I had of the blend) so I supplemented with some condiment tobacco and smoked it up. I'm not mentioning the blender or blend because I think this happens with Latakia, the fortunes of war, if you will.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Try cleansing your palate with some saltine crackers and a glass of water before smoking and see if the flavor improves.

I've thought on different occassions earlier in my smoking "career" that blends had gone flat, etc., but really:
I’ve had some weird things happen in the world of pipe smoking... Every now and then I just can’t taste anything even when I can breathe through my nose just fine, just weird anomalies I tells ya.

Often happens if I decide to have a bowl while drinking whiskey (especially if I'm on anything more than my first glass), or smoking too many bowls in general, and the effect can sometimes linger for a day or two, especially on the occassion that I get the dreaded tongue burn which in my case is often a result of getting sloppy with my relights and sucking on too much hot air from the match flame.

Anyhow, it's probably you, not the 'baccy puffy

Reactions: Casual and hawky454

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
The taste of a blend really changes for me, depending on whatever I’ve been doing with my tastebuds. I’ve started keeping track, because the right liquid accompaniment can mean the difference between lacklustre and great.

Lagers and pale ales with light Englishes. Whisky with balkans. Tea and honey with sweet aros. Coffee with burley and many flakes. Virginias are often harsh for me, and I haven’t figured them out yet.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I did eat some spicy food an hour before smoking. The tin note seems only slightly subdued but I can still smell the latakia.

I smoke outside and its extremely humid tonight, maybe that makes a difference?
The only other variable now that I think about it is I switched pipes. The original pipe I smoked it in was very new and didn't have much of a cake. Maybe thats why it was stronger. I switched pipes because I decided to dedicate a different pipe for english blends. It happens to be an olive wood pipe if that makes any difference.
I find English to be the most temperamental blends to which pipe I smoke them in. I love all my pipes they're all my favorite. But despite everything else smoking great in every single one of them a few make English blends taste flat not bad just not full. No idea why that is or if anyone else has similar experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.