PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So before I had tried 2 bowls of tobacco containing Latakia, Frog Morton Original and 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher, and had a very unpleasant experience akin to keeping a piece of tinfoil on my tongue as I smoked. A very metallic taste on my tongue with ever draw that made for a rather unenjoyable smoke with both blends. Last night at the urging of some on here I made a second attempt to smoke some BHT. I don't know if it was a change in diet or what but not the metallic taste was gone and the bowl smoked nicely for me in a cob. I'm not sure if the campfire aroma will ever lure me away from my aros but I am happy to be able to enjoy a different type of tobacco when the urge hits.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Thats great news! I find if I have a cold coming on my tobacco tastes bad and smells worse.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Exploring different types of blends is good for you. :)

BHT has lat in it, btw, but not very much. I gather it's more like Walnut or the old Barking Dog - a burley blend with just a touch of latakia. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I say this with the hope that it doesn't offend anyone..But..The type or blend of tobacco that you smoke should not be looked at as a status thing.You may not like something that someone else does..That's OK..The object of it all is to enjoy what you smoke.I love Latakia.Others don't like it at all.Decide what you yourself like and smoke away.Grandpa smoked only Prince Albert for many years and enjoyed it very much.I would add that trying different blends is the only real way to find what you like and don't like.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Hard to say why BHT might have been better for you this time around. Perhaps it has dried a bit? Perhaps it was the the residue or ghost of whatever aro's you had been smoking?
I would encourage you to try a few more bowls of BHT (or Frog) only because it may open up a whole new world of tobacco blends and flavors for you. On the other hand, if you try a few more bowls and decide it's not for you, that's OK too. Not smoking latakia is only a minor character flaw -- would you believe that some don't smoke a pipe at all?

jasondon

Lurker
Nov 25, 2013
Well said puffy. I like Latakia as well, FM Cellar my favorite right now but experimenting with others.
It was Latakia that kept me interested. I tried a bunch of Aromatics and thought meh till I found Latakia blends.
It's best everyone has different tastes or this would be one boring place!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Puffy:
While I agree with you in principle, I think there's also something to be said for trying to appreciate different blends, even those that may not be love at first puff. After all, how many of us have had foods whose flavors we didn't enjoy at first but which have gone on to become favorites over time?
Sure, some blends are love at first puff. But there will be others that have to be worked at in order to be fully appreciated. And acquired tastes can grow into favorites we can't imagine not smoking.
Bob

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Always always always try a blend in a variety of pipes. For reasons unknown to mankind, sometimes a blend will just POP for you in a certain shape or material.
It's a beautiful thing when it happens.
Glad to hear you no longer get a metal mouth feel.
Best probably try something where the latakia is very subtle.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
First, no offence taken. Second, I never tried any blend..... Latakia, Perique, Aro, or any other as a status attempt. I've tried them as I enjoy smoking my pipes and enjoy trying different types of tobacco experiences. The same reason I've tried different pipe shapes, materials, and sizes. Same reason I tried Dominican, Cuban, and other countries cigars. I like to smoke, I like smoking different things. (let's keep it legal guys lol)

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It's good that you've found something new to enjoy! I admit freely that the first time or two that I tried Latakia I was completely against it! Honestly, I don't even remember the name of the blend!

Then a friend of mine gave me some Boswell Countryside, and that's when I had my revelation! Even then, it took a couple of bowls to really "get" it.

Some guys just never develop a taste for it, some like it right off the bat, and some (like me) had to give it some time and effort.

Even now I have to put forth a real effort to try new Virginias, though they are starting to grow on me.

One "style" I don't think I could ever like is Lakeland tobaccos. I've tried a few of them, and have yet to be able to force myself to smoke even half a bowl!

Now with that being said, there are some guys who absolutely love Lakelands, but not me.
I think every style should be given a fair chance, so good for giving Lat a second chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.