PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, I'm looking for experienced advice here. I like Latakia. No, I LOVE Latakia! I am looking for a great lat bomb! Blackhouse, Gas Light, Ten Russians, DH 965, Three Oaks are all good. I like them, but they fall just a little short. I can't stand the Frog Mortons. So, what is a strong, Latakia filled, oriental spiced blend that I will love. Old Ironside is on my list to try and I have a tin of Pirate Kake in the cellar waiting for me to finish the pouch full of Magnum Opus I'm working through. I like it too. I want an English I can love. Suggestions?

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Plum pudding is a nice lay bomb but not strong on the nic. Also Angry Cornishman and Bowsers Castle from the Country Squire have a significant amount of Latakia. I love Pirate Cake, I'd take it out of the seller and smoke it. It is a one trick Lat pony.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I like Ten Russians. Thanks Doc, I have been meaning to try the HH, but reviews I've read say it's not that Latakia forward. Were they wrong? I don't know Ten To Midnight. I will check it out. Anyone have an opinion on Old Ironsides?

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Brebbia Lat flake, MacBaren Lat flake, Old Ironsides, Mc Connells Lat flake, McClelland Latakia Flake (Blakeney's Best)
One, if not all, should meet your requirements.
I'm Smoking some Old Ironsides now. Thick and creamy Lat and kentucky with periodic orinetal and Va notes.
Good stuff.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't call Plum Pudding a lat bomb, it gets it's color from black cavendish. Star of the East is 50% latakia by C&D. If you haven't tried Nightcap I would give that a try, McClellend's Pm pipe is also one I would try if I were you. You could also just buy some bulk latakia and add it to blends.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Haven't had much luck with McClelland. They all seem to have a taste lingering in the background that I do not enjoy. I'm going to pick up some O.I. tomorrow and I'll look for the Brebbia and McConnell's. Thanks, all!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Andy - I have tried Nightcap. not sure I like the Perique in it. On the bubble. I've heard good things about Star of the East. Might have to look for that as well.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure if anything is actually going to top something like Gaslight, but Captain Earle's Stimulus Package is very similar, and G.L. Pease Quiet Nights and Charring Cross also have a lot of Latakia.

Outside of those and something like Pirate Kake I'm not sure if there's really any hope of finding a Lat-Bomb any stronger than what you have.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tschiraldi:
Once you try Star of the East and Hearth and Home's Larry's Blend, plus 10 to Midnight, you'll have nailed most of the heavy hitters.
Old Ironsides is a great smoke and will please even the crustiest Lat whore.
For variance why not pick up a tin of C&D's Montford Point Marines? It, too, has some Perique but it's toned down compared to Nightcap and each bowl is every bit as interesting as a bowl of Old Ironsides. (FCW mentioned Stimulus Package and Itstone suggested Lancers Slices: both are wonderful tobaccos I keep on hand.)
By itself, Latakia is truly a one dimensional tobacco that smells like a camp fire and that's boring as hell. Add the VAs, Burley, Orientals and a dash of Perique and then you've got yourself a nuanced smoke that could please for years to come.
Fnord

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I have Stimulus Package and Larry's Blend cellared. I will try both very soon, after the Pirate Kake and Old Ironsides.

Itstone, I'm not familiar with Latakia Junction. Will look it up today. I loveve the interplay between the Latakia with Virginias and, especially orientals, but I want the Lat front and center. I've had a few pipe bowls of Gas Light where, about mid-bowl, everything tightened up, sweetened up, and the Lat and oriental flavors exploded. Magic! I guess that's what we're all searching for and occasionally get. I'm looking for a tobacco that tastes like that on every bowl. I guess you could say it's my pipe dream! The search goes on, but that's the fun part of this hobby, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.