PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I'll throw in Margate, more of a english, that tastes "aged".

The Lat is omnipresent, but well integrated with the the Va and Orientals.

A well rounded but Lat heavy blend.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Just throwing a knuckle ball here… try blending your own? You know you want Latakia and now you just need the condiment tobaccos.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for posting OP. I was just thinking about this myself. I've had the seemingly infamous Night Cap, but I'm not necessarily a fan of the spiciness that seems to come off on it (call me weak I suppose).

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Ambassador's Blend from P&C. Not really a lat bomb, but a great blend. Comes in bulk as well as tinned, so you could throw an oz in with your next order. Check it out: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3873/hearth-home-ambassadors-blend

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe others have thought this was too obvious, but you might buy some C&D blending Latakia (or one of the other good brands) and add it to various of the Lat blends you enjoy but find a little lacking in Lat, or add it to non-Lat blends. You can do mixes in a pottery bowl, a pipe bowl or three at a time, and see what pleases you. Personally, I like Lat as an enhancement to the base tobacco in blends and don't rely on it to carry the whole blend, but if you love a Lat bomb, have it your way! I enjoy other C&D blending tobaccos like Izmir Turkish and Cigar Leaf, both by themselves and as blending tobaccos. I have Perique, but find its presence in readymade blends just right, so far.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If Pirate Kake, Old Ironsides and Odyssey don't fit the bill, you might as well smoke straight Latakia.
Star of the East, Gaslight and NightCap are great. Of course you could add some perique to all of this stuff and make it better. Yea Perique is great. Smoke the stuff straight or with rum. Yea. Good stuff.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Okay, I've opened some Pirate Kake, Old Ironsides, and Odyssey. I really like Odyssey. Pirate Kake I didn't like in a large bowl, but is really good in a small Stanwell. Old Ironsides I'm going to need more time with. Thank you all for the recommendations!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Just saw this one. Pirate Kake fell flat for me. You've already hit on my top lat smokes in Gaslight and 10 Russians. I'd say give Billy Budd a whirl as well as Mountain Camp, both blended by C&D.
Bengal Slices isn't a lat bomb but it's so well done I'd suggest you pick that one up too.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I find Cornell & Diehl's Black Duck a very full flavored latakia blend. It's deep and rich and certainly not an elegant smoke but doesn't buckle my knees.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I love lat as well, it sounds like I need to add Pirate Kake to the list. Black Duck I don't believe I've ever even seen

Status
Not open for further replies.