PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
your thread has had me reminiscing about my childhood dog Tessie. She was a Doberman. Had her for 13 years from childhood up through high school. She was the best dog And though it has been over 20 years since she died I still think about her often and she comes to me in my dreams.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I rescued a dog last Christmas for my kids, and I am still amazed at how quickly she made her way into our hearts. I can't remember what life around the house was like without her. I'll be sure to give her an extra scratch on the chin and a treat tonight when I get home from work.
This is a true reminder on Thanksgiving of what is really important in our lives. The love and friendship of those close to us. Cheers to you Humphrey, and Cobguy I wish you all the best in a trying time.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I am so sorry for the loss.. even moreso that its based on a decision. But it was based on love and that is something that I can respect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've talked with a senior vet about a dear old cat, some years ago. A small percent of animals

can pass on comfortably, without misery, panic, or seizures. When that happens, it is a rare

blessing. Most need that last bit of help, which is a kindness.
My sister's cat wandered off in the cold, but days later a neighbor spotted him and my sister gathered

him back in, wrapped in a blanket, checked with the emergency vet, and finally just took him home where

he had a big meal, a big drink of water, and retreated to a safe place on the lower level. They put him

under a heat lamp, but he retreated and died peacefully in his sleep, at 18. He was a mentor and grandfather

to people, dogs, and other cats, and regularly made the rounds and was invited into homes for blocks around.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I had an grey cat when i was a kid. Cappy was his name, short for Captain Kitty. We lived at a circle drive of a neighborhood; behind our house was a pasture with woods behind. One day our old cat was just gone. He was up in years, and we assumed that he went off into the woods to die, as most animals are want to do. This could be for a number of reasons. They hide away when sick to evade from predators to heal. Also, to protect the family/herd, as a sick/injured animal is dangerous liability for the survival of a family.
It was a long time before I realized this, and I thought it was very rude at the time. But I am glad to know that Humphrey's final day was filled with good food and the strong love of a respected owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.