PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tim, I was in the car a lot of the day, and wondered if we'd see you here or not, so am glad you weren't a direct victim, but an indirect one with the loss of friends as well as proximity to the massacre. Sorry for your losses and your ordeal.
Any other Vegans here? Pipesmoking Tom moved, no?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm very sorry for those affected by this senseless act. Like everyone else, I'm looking for some kind of answer as to how and why this could happened. The fact that the FBI is investigating leads me to think they are tracing the tripod mounted machine gun a witness saw in the window of the hotel. I'm thinking that there was some other criminal element involved. He wouldn't have been able to get that weapon any other way. He obviously didn't go through the ATF.
For now, we'll just have to wait until the FBI makes a statement... and mourn.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'm so sorry to hear that Tim, my condolences.
Orley I'm glad to hear yours got out alright. I can't imagine the relief, I wish everyone would've gotten that call instead.
Such an unbelievable act of evil

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is horrible Tim.
We have two neighbors who went to Vegas on Friday. Their daughter didn't hear anything from them on Monday AM and called them. They were still sleeping and knew nothing of the incident.
Our newspaper reports that a local woman (Maryland) was among those killed, just awful.

Jun 27, 2016
They are saying that at least two guns in the hotel had bump stocks. Thought so, because his rate of fire was so inconsistent. You can hear it ramping up and down in the vids. I heard that and thought most likely a bump-stock, or a slim chance that he had a gun with a modded trigger group, and slightly weak ammo. Bump-stocked guns are not automatic weapons, despite what they are saying on the news. As far as I know, bump stocks are not illegal to possess or mount or use, unless you end up with one on a gun that already breaks the rules for some other reason, or causes it to break the rules by attaching it.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
balkisobrains,
This video contains audio taken directly below the firing position, so it eliminates a lot of the echoing effects of others. This sequence sounds almost certainly like a trigger crank to me.
VEGAS SHOOTING AUDIO
Evidently he had multiple systems, so it remains to be seen what was what. For example, one audio section I heard sounded exactly like every M249 SAW I've ever heard. Very consistent and high ROF of 800 rpm or more.
But time will tell.

Jun 27, 2016
Could be a trigger crank, but I am hearing about AR platforms and bump-stocks actually coming out of the hotel room. I have not heard about a trigger crank yet, but it would not surprise me. In either case, those are probably the easiest ways to legally get to where he got. I heard some consistent fire rates as well, but you can get a bump stock or trigger crank to run consistently too. I think that there is a 0% chance that he was running a SAW, we would have heard about that already. I don't know that much about class 3 laws, but he may have had some sort of legal full-auto weapon, that is for sure. Guy seemed to have a lot of assets at some point, so not out of the realm of possibility. I hope that they figure out what his motive was.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It is entirely possible that had a legal full auto weapon. But we don't know yet. Supposition at this point is not terribly useful, IMHO. Debating whether a weapon used in a mass killing is legal or not smacks of circling the 2A wagons while people are still dying and mourning.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here a firearms expert offers his thoughts on the weapons and ammunition used...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41478950/stephen-paddock-what-gunfire-tells-us-about-weapons-used
...by all accounts the shooter had quite an armoury of weapons with him...and yet more at home.
Regards,
Jay.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Agreed...let's keep this thread focused where it should be- on the victims and those affected by this tragedy...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Legal or not, they were effective. The maggot planned his moves, armed himself with what he determined to be the right weapons and went to town. Dealing with the how is easier on the mind than dealing with the carnage.
Now the public is desperate to know the why, which may never be truly known. Whatever motivated him, he saw it as logical in his demented mind. Sane people will never accept such, they need a logical reason for an "illogical" act. It's the old "how could and why would someone dismember a body?" An answer, "So it would fit in the bag/box." Sane people have trouble understanding, they need/crave clear cut, easily understood answers which are not always forthcoming.
Some are just fascinated with the tools, others on the inhumanity and tragedy of the act. "First responders" focus on the job at hand, shutting out the carnage in order to function. The confronting of the carnage necessarily comes later.
The shooter could have accomplished more if he's loaded his plane with fuel and crashed it into the venue. I think he wanted the gratification of prolonging and enjoying the carnage. Or, perhaps he didn't want to defile hi personal enjoyment of his plane. He didn't want to simply kill a bunch of people, he wanted to see witness the spectacle. I make that observation based only on some experiences, knowing it is an exercise in futility.

Status
Not open for further replies.